Thule Probike roof rack holder

Surv0MTB

Hey guys

Just wanted to gauge from anybody who may own one of these as to how strong they actually are. With the wind in Cape Town, blowing across the N1 fairly strongly, it seems to have quite an effect on my the bike. The front wheel seems to wiggle a bit side to side (29r MTB) and even sometimes the frame slightly.

I was doing about 80-90km/h with the thought in mind that the holder can take up to 130km/h wind etc. Wind at the time felt about 40km/h so thought I may be hitting up against a limit.

Do I need to be concerned about the bike moving slightly in the wind? The arm which locks into place seems quite strong, but concerned the front wheel literally brakes the rubber strap clip and turns 90 degrees which could be a disaster. Although it does seem fairly strong as well.

Tx

traveled jhb-el-jhb with my 16kg morewood on the roof, heavy crosswinds and driving 130-140 most of the way with overtaking bursts of up to 160 at times. There is movement in the front wheel and slight side to side movement of the bike but thats about it.

I think you are being paranoid :)

Thanks Fr33rider... you are spot on, im blerry paranoid about it blowing off. Insuring it from Feb which may help that issue a bit.

You are not being paranoid depending on the bike and how snuggly the arm fits. 

With the steep angles on the frame of my old bike the arm didn't fit flat so was only using a portion of it to grip the bike.  On the way to Philidelphia we had hectic cross winds (was blowing the car sideways) and it blew my bike out of the clasp.  Very luckily both front and rear straps were still in place so the bike was held onto the roof, just sideways instead of upright.  Only damage was to my one disk brake.

What we do now is secure the bike with an extra strap to ensure it stays in place.

The arm clamp does fit quite nicely around the tube so it seems to hold is quite well there. I think my main concern was around the front wheel moving.

I see if you push the front wheel bracket forward a little, you can create a strong hold with the strap. That said, I think I will use a tie between the diagonal tube of the bike and the wheel to make sure it doesnt move so effectively holding the wheel in two places. This should help nicely.

I have a bag of really large thick cable ties which i use around the frame and the clamp, so even if the clamp somehow comes loose it is double secured and the bike can't fall over.

Many years ago I travelled on the N1 towards Warmbad in my Citi Golf with two MTB's on the roof. This was the days before Thule.

Just before the Warmbad off ramp the roof rack came loose at 120km/h and I saw in my rear view mirror how my bikes exploded when it hit the tar! It was a shocker!

Never will I have bikes on my roof ever again.

Archived