How long should you wait..?

As some may recall, I was debating late last year as to whether or not to remove a plate and some screws that had put my clavicle back together.

Thanks mostly to BarHugger for putting all sorts of terror into me ( :P ), I opted to have it removed.

The surgeon took it out last Friday afternoon, and I am booked off this week and next.

I haven't spoken with the surgeon about it yet, but, what is a 'normal' sort of time to wait to get back on the bike (not on the IDT, but back out on the road - I accept getting back on the trails will probably need more time).

Obviously I know people heal differently, but, looking for a rough idea of how long to expect.

I wouldn't want to risk pulling the wound open or popping the stitches or anything, but also don't want to be overly cautious as my bikes sit staring longingly at me ;)

The bigger risk would be breaking your clavicle again,

With regards to plates and screws, the holes left behind after removal at now a weak point in the bone. That is until they heal closed.

If you were one of my furry patients id recommend at least 4-6 weeks rest :P , not sure what the equivalent would be in humans.

Best to speak to the surgeon who took the plate and screws out.

Best to speak to the surgeon who took the plate and screws out.

I'll definitely discuss with the surgeon when I see him for my follow up, was just wondering on a rough idea for timeframe from others who can understand how much I am missing my bike(s) ;)

Lurch.  (sorry a bit  :offtopic: )

How long did you wait after getting the plate (after braking the clavicle) to the the hardware taken out again. 

I also want to remove my plate/screws  but the surgeon said I must wait a year minimum.

Did your medial aid cover the operation for the removal?

I was also told to wait for a year.

Plate went in on 16 December 2014. When I saw the surgeon in November 2015 he said it could come out, and I was debating whether or not to remove it, plus I had to wait for the new year to have the new sick leave cycle kick in at work so I had enough leave to do it.

Medical aid covered the removal. I am with Fedhealth, and they did say that the surgeon isn't one of their partner doctors so they would cover up to their rate for him and I would have to pay anything additional, but fortunately it didn't exceed what they would pay.

Archived