[Event] Ashburton Investments National MTB Series #3 Clarens

News bot

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was fitter.

I did the marathon and the speed for the first 50km was nice and fast. The thing that tapped my energy was the freshly cut grass on places. Riding a hardtail at those times reminds me to check my tyre pressures before the race.

The one steep climb, think it was the 3rd last one, just kept on too long for me and when I lost balance I decided to walk till were it flattened off. Must say, I saw a lot of grimising faces on that climb and this was from the A bunch riders around me.

That last downhill was great fun, but I had overdone t and cramped in my calf on one corner while unclipping to try and counter balance. and after that my legs just said this is enough.

But, really well organised, great waterpoints, fantastic scenery and great venue!

Enjoyed the race. Good single track sections made up for the grassy bits.

Will be back.

That sneaky little bridge 1km from the finish (marathon) surprised the living daylights out of me! Wonder how many ended up in the donga

attachicon.gifClarens.wmv

It surprised me too, and the sharp left after that between some trees. luckily no visit ti the donga. And that hill after the 3rd water point garmin showed some 18% gradient towards the top.

Not much feedback about how this event went down? I unfortunately had to miss it but always like to hear what everyone makes of these events, especially the ones I haven't yet gotten round to doing myself.

Saturday's route was the same as last year with the last climb a bit of a killer! Sunday? Well it was a shortened route of Saturday and only 40Km. Not sure what happened to the route from last year which was a great route riding into the Sandstone mountains. So you paid twice to ride a long and short version of the same route and nothing was mentioned at the start about the route change. I was very disappointed!

Lekker weekend. Also did the marathon followed by the half on Sunday. Goodness, those climbs destroyed me in the marathon but in the half they were fine, thanks to a super flat first 20 and i managed to ride all of them, albeit slowly. 

Never done Clarens marathon before so maybe less district road but plenty of jeep track and horrible cut grass through the farms (on a hardtail atleast). The views were next level though and only have good things to say about the organisation and overall vibe. 

Saturday's route was the same as last year with the last climb a bit of a killer! Sunday? Well it was a shortened route of Saturday and only 40Km. Not sure what happened to the route from last year which was a great route riding into the Sandstone mountains. So you paid twice to ride a long and short version of the same route and nothing was mentioned at the start about the route change. I was very disappointed!

I spoke to the lady manning the last waterpoint, she mentioned that the route had to be changed on short notice as the land changed hands and the new owner did not give permission, or something like that.

I spoke to the lady manning the last waterpoint, she mentioned that the route had to be changed on short notice as the land changed hands and the new owner did not give permission, or something like that.

Thanks.

I enjoyed the marathon, route was definitely harder than last year. Like previously mentioned I think a lot of that had to do with the grass sections, suck a lot of energy out of the legs.

But overall a great weekend.

did the marathon from the last starting group

proud to report I rode the whole route and did not walked / pushed once :clap:

what I great race  / weekend it was.

next year I will be back for sure!