Help a newbie out...

LexieB

Hi LexieB,

Thanks for the Pics.

Some things look like they need some attention:

The chain is rusted and alo needs chain lubricant urgently. De-rusting the chain will be a good idea but replacing it would be a better plan.

The front Derailleur is also rusted and is in urgent need of attention. For a quick and nasty fix, spray t he whole thing with Q10 or Q20 and wipe it off.

It seems possible that small adjustment to the limit screws could resolve your chain rubbing on it. Just turn the top one anticlockwise by 1/4 turn. Make sure it does not go so far out that the chain gets thrown off.

The front chain rings look worn but that is not the cause of your problems at the moment.

Hope Eugene can get to you and help out a bit.

Considering I'm borrowing the bike, I'm not overly keen on spending too much money fixing it up/adding new parts when it isn't going to be mine long terms. Are all of these parts that I could take off when I get my own bike and add to that? 

Otherwise maybe my own bike will have to come sooner than planned.... (at least it's a viable excuse!? :D

FYI. Some more specific info for you to know about your bike.

Your bike looks like it has mostly Shimano Tiagra components (called a groupset) with the rear derailleur being a Shimano 105. Then there's a 9 speed cassette on the back (There are 9 cogs that you can change gears on with your right hand shifter). With the 2 chainrings you have at the front (changed with the left hand shifter) we would typically describe your gear setup as a 2 x 9.

As has been mentioned if your gears are set just perfect you may be able to get all the gears at the back to go both up and down the cogs without any rubbing noises, but this is still not good for the chain. You never want small front and small back, or big front and big back to be selected together as the chain bend will wear the chain, cassette and chainrings quicker!

A visit from Eugene sounds like your best option at this stage! Without speaking for him, most guys take payment in beer. :ph34r:  :devil:  :whistling:  (Except Lurch, he seems like he prefers payment in kind....) :devil:  :devil: :thumbup:  

Thanks for the info and useful diagram!

As for payment, it will have to be beer and an awesome view from our bar!!  :lol:  :lol:

Possibly a good thing Lurch isn't PE based?  :huh:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All guys will accept payment in kind, I'm just prepare to say it ;p (unless it's from ugly chicks, then only beer is fine :P )

Drink enough beer and the ugly chicks become mighty attractive pretty quick! 

(Double score - kind AND beer! What more could you want??) 

Considering I'm borrowing the bike, I'm not overly keen on spending too much money fixing it up/adding new parts when it isn't going to be mine long terms. Are all of these parts that I could take off when I get my own bike and add to that? 

Otherwise maybe my own bike will have to come sooner than planned.... (at least it's a viable excuse!? :D

I would not spend money on it either. Get a bike sooner. If this one gets given to you...Then give it to someone who needs a bike to get to work and back.

Factors to consider:

How long can you borrow the bike for?

When do you anticipate getting your own rig?

If you do decide to drop cash on a new chain, you'll need a new cassette and new chainrings too. You're looking at roughly R1200 there for all those parts, unless you get a deal from someone who is selling stuff in decent nick 2nd hand. Yes you can reuse these parts on your bike if you keep the stuff from the borrowed bike and put that back on when you return it, BUT the only way you'll get further use out of that kit is if you buy another bike with the same gear setup of 2x9.

Most bikes have 10 speed cassettes now with the brand new rigs having 11 speed cassettes. The chains, chainrings and freebody on the wheels are all specific to this too. If you are buying a newer bike you'll likely end up with something that is not a 9 speed, so the money you spend may be sacrificed.

Your best option is to tune what is on the bike and prepare as much as you can to get your own sooner if that is possible!

Edited by Tubehunter

I would not spend money on it either. Get a bike sooner. If this one gets given to you...Then give it to someone who needs a bike to get to work and back.

Haha wow, is it that bad??  :blink:

Factors to consider:

How long can you borrow the bike for?

When do you anticipate getting your own rig?

If you do decide to drop cash on a new chain, you'll need a new cassette and new chainrings too. You're looking at roughly R1200 there for all those parts, unless you get a deal from someone who is selling stuff in decent nick 2nd hand. Yes you can reuse these parts on your bike if you keep the stuff from the borrowed bike and put that back on when you return it, BUT the only way you'll get further use out of that kit is if you buy another bike with the same gear setup of 2x9.

Most bikes have 10 speed cassettes now with the brand new rigs having 11 speed cassettes. The chains, chainrings and freebody on the wheels are all specific to this too. If you are buying a newer bike you'll likely end up with something that is not a 9 speed, so the money you spend may be sacrificed.

Your best option is to tune what is on the bike and prepare as much as you can to get your own sooner if that is possible!

I'm basically borrowing it indefinitely; the owner doesn't need it back anytime soon. But ideally (I think from both sides) it should be short-term thing as far as possible. 

I'll try to buy my own ASAP - I was looking at getting one mid-year-ish - all depends on finances though. I'll start looking more seriously at what second hand bikes are available, and check out the lower priced ones at the bike shop. Like I mentioned earlier on in the thread, there are two there that I quote liked (can't remember the details of them now though). I was hoping to pop in there this weekend anyway to get some stuff, so will chat to the guys then. 

Any suggestions on what to try get or what to avoid? 

Funny how the dynamics are at play.

A lady ask this questiond and the support is overwhelming.

But when a bloke asks this question....

No, not all blokes are technically inclined. I decided to hold a tech workshop at a friends house over some beers because there is nothing worse than a guy trying to fit a schrader valve through a presta hole just because he does not know the difference.

Something like this looks to be pretty decent, and within your budget if I remember correctly. No idea on the ride quality, but carbon frame, 10 speed dura ace will be very decent and you should be able to find replacement parts (even if they're 105 or ultegra replacements) for a while, and Mavic Kysirium wheels are a win as well.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/178468-scott-plasma-excellent-condition/

Something like this looks to be pretty decent, and within your budget if I remember correctly. No idea on the ride quality, but carbon frame, 10 speed dura ace will be very decent and you should be able to find replacement parts (even if they're 105 or ultegra replacements) for a while, and Mavic Kysirium wheels are a win as well.

Hey cool that looks awesome! I need to check what size I need, that may be a liiiiitle bit too small. I'm 174cm? 

Hey cool that looks awesome! I need to check what size I need, that may be a liiiiitle bit too small. I'm 174cm? 

Don't buy a wrong size bike because it's a good deal. Worst idea ever. So make sure of the fit.

The Plasma is a time trial frame originally but it's more than capable as a road bike too. Seems a very decent price for the rig and will be a serious upgrade from what you're currently on! You will notice the difference within the first few meters of riding the bike and it will be difficult to go back to riding the bike you're on now should you do a test ride.

(Just don't let any Italian's near you though as they will be so vexed that you have campagnolo cranks on a bike with shimano parts!)

Yep the 50 will be too small.

In road bike terms you may be looking for a medium, 54 size. Doing a bike fit after that will let you know if you need to get a longer or shorter stem, move saddle forward or back on the rails, along with getting your seat height correct in order to get your position right.

Don't buy a wrong size bike because it's a good deal. Worst idea ever. So make sure of the fit.

Definitely won't make that mistake. I am so pedantic when it comes to buying gear for anything! (Read: I'm annoying as hell and check everything too many times when I spend money)

The Plasma is a time trial frame originally but it's more than capable as a road bike too. Seems a very decent price for the rig and will be a serious upgrade from what you're currently on! You will notice the difference within the first few meters of riding the bike and it will be difficult to go back to riding the bike you're on now should you do a test ride.

(Just don't let any Italian's near you though as they will be so vexed that you have campagnolo cranks on a bike with shimano parts!)

Ok so what I'm taking from this is:

1) no test rides on anything until I know I can buy the bike

2) avoid Italians at all costs? (this is not the first time this has been suggested to me, although for different reasons...) 

Yep the 50 will be too small.

In road bike terms you may be looking for a medium, 54 size. Doing a bike fit after that will let you know if you need to get a longer or shorter stem, move saddle forward or back on the rails, along with getting your seat height correct in order to get your position right.

When I got this current bike set up they put in a longer stem and moved the saddle back - I couldn't believe the difference that made! So I think what I'll do, if I do make it to the bike shop this weekend, is get their advise on which size to look for, check out what they've got, and try not to spend money that I don't have on buying a bike right then and there (as I have been known to do with other things. I'm the one that goes out for groceries and comes home with a dog and a new car)  :nuke:

Also have a look at whether any of the shops have old stock of anything in your size. You can get sweet deals that way. Especially if the bike is 2 years old.

In 2013 I picked up a 2011 Giant TCR Composite with Mavic Aksium wheels and Shimano 105 groupset.... was R11k. Replacement of that bike now is around 30k! Although you're likely in the more popular size range so might be tough to find the older stock

Funny how the dynamics are at play.

A lady ask this questiond and the support is overwhelming.

But when a bloke asks this question....

No, not all blokes are technically inclined. I decided to hold a tech workshop at a friends house over some beers because there is nothing worse than a guy trying to fit a schrader valve through a presta hole just because he does not know the difference.

Ja nee, cannot agree with you more.....

FYI. Some more specific info for you to know about your bike.

Your bike looks like it has mostly Shimano Tiagra components (called a groupset) with the rear derailleur being a Shimano 105. Then there's a 9 speed cassette on the back (There are 9 cogs that you can change gears on with your right hand shifter). With the 2 chainrings you have at the front (changed with the left hand shifter) we would typically describe your gear setup as a 2 x 9.

As has been mentioned if your gears are set just perfect you may be able to get all the gears at the back to go both up and down the cogs without any rubbing noises, but this is still not good for the chain. You never want small front and small back, or big front and big back to be selected together as the chain bend will wear the chain, cassette and chainrings quicker!

A visit from Eugene sounds like your best option at this stage! Without speaking for him, most guys take payment in beer. :ph34r: :devil: :whistling: (Except Lurch, he seems like he prefers payment in kind....) :devil: :devil: :thumbup:

Thanks, but I'm not expecting any sort of payment. I actually enjoy this type of thing, besides I might destroy his friend's bike. Then I'm in *** and may have to return the beer.

Thanks, but I'm not expecting any sort of payment. I actually enjoy this type of thing, besides I might destroy his friend's bike. Then I'm in *** and may have to return the beer.

Not really sure I'd accept a return on used beer