4yr old girls bike

arabsandals

Afternoon all

Want to get my daughter a 16 inch bike. Was thinking Avalanche seemed to be the way to go on the basis of value. Anyone had recent experience or is aware of deals?

Should have clarified the title, bike is for a 4 year old girl. Not looking for a 2012 bike...

Also should have mentioned we had a look at the totem bikes at Makro, which seemed to also be pretty good, but being Makro they didn't have stellar range.

I'd stay away from the Avalanche.  They've been built really cheaply - I'll give one example: The weld on the rim where the two ends join together is not smooth, so when braking it creates a high spot which catches on the pads which causes the tyre to wear ridiculously quickly in one spot.  They're also heavy.

I was going to get the Titan Calypso 16" for my daughter, but then found a deal on a Spaz Hotrock 16" that I couldn't pass up.  In my opinion the Spaz is the pick of the bunch.  It has a back pedal brake which my daughter is able to use right from the start (she still barely uses the front brake after seven months of riding the bike).

That time already? My daughter is also 4 and still on a balance bike.

I was under the impression 16inch wheels were for kids of around 6-8?

She was riding the 16 inch totem bikes at Makro. The smallest frame seemed fine. The only issue seems to be the diameter of the circle that pedals make on the crank; her leg is relatively straight at the 12 o' clock position but really cramped at the 1 o' clock position.  I'm going to take her to my LBS and test a couple of other bikes this weekend.

At the beginning of the year I bought my Son eldest son(4 and a half)a 16 inch silverback bike. I decided to spend a little extra as the bike is going to be handed down to his younger brother. So far I am very happy with the quality of the bike. We have also taken it on some gentle single track and my son is loving it.

Weight wise it also doesn't seem to bad compared to the cheapy 12 inch we have

My daughter was on a 12" from 2 she turned 5 in December and bough her the 16" bike she is more comfortable also has more fun now with the suspension in front. The balance bike us great my boy is still riding his but they get tired quick on it.

Afternoon all

Want to get my daughter a 16 inch bike. Was thinking Avalanche seemed to be the way to go on the basis of value. Anyone had recent experience or is aware of deals?

Should have clarified the title, bike is for a 4 year old girl. Not looking for a 2012 bike...

The grow out of them really quickly - I have a 16" kids bike in bright orange/black - single speed if you are looking for something cheap - I do have the training wheels for it.

My kid is on a Spec Hot Rock. it's pretty good, I think one of the most important things at that age is a proper bike 'geometry'. 

You should stay away from any kids bikes with weird and wonderful frame shapes IMO.

Oh and 16 is perfect for a 4 year old, my son went straight to a 12 inch at 2.5 with no training wheels! Balance bikes are amazing!!

My kid is on a Spec Hot Rock. it's pretty good, I think one of the most important things at that age is a proper bike 'geometry'.

You should stay away from any kids bikes with weird and wonderful frame shapes IMO.

Oh and 16 is perfect for a 4 year old, my son went straight to a 12 inch at 2.5 with no training wheels! Balance bikes are amazing!!

12 inch with no training wheels?

12 inch with no training wheels?

Yep - literally learned to ride in about 2 minutes. Straight off a balance bike and onto a pedal bike in one go at 2.5 years of age. Was on a balance bike for about a year.

Of course he had been watching Danny Macaskill videos since birth..!

Balance bikes are the ducks nuts. DO NOT use training wheels!

Archived