Canis Onza Sidewall Wear

Two-Stroke

This isn't a rant or rave thread... Just checking whether anyone else has experienced this.

Onto my second set of Onza Canis 29 (60tpi) tyres and they're showing unusual wear on the sidewalls after a few hundred km's.  Diagonal thread/weave lines are appearing and they're slowly starting to leak sealant through these.  Getting progressively worse by the week.  Previous identical set of Onza's did over 2000km without any sidewall issues.

Pity that it's happening because my first set sold me on the brand, and they're generally excellent tyres in most conditions - and this set has a lot more life left in the tread.

Has anyone else noticed similar on theirs?

Could it be that you are running lower pressure in your tires now? Haven't seen the same on my Onzas, but my mate runs lower pressure for his weight and I've seen the same diagonal marks on his Onzas. Maybe you are just way faster now with the new pair and are klapping the G's in the berms.

+1 on upping your pressure a bit. The C3 casing is pretty light, so it can't be run quite as low as something like a Geax. What were you running before?

Same issue on my GF's bike, she runs the rear at 2bar but last week I noticed sealant weeping on the sidewalls along the diagonal lines. This is only on the Canis, no such issues on the Ibex though, but they do have different tpi's.  

Could also be that your previous pair had the FRC Freeride casing and now you got the C3 Cross country casing. They can both be 60TPI, but my guess is that the FRC would be way stronger. That's what I'm running, 2000km easy.

Two of my regular riding buddies on Canis.

Both had issues in two separate sidewall incidents in the last three weeks. Upped pressure and problems went away. Vittoria/Geax sidewalls, IMO, pretty hardcore and you can run lower pressures with no issues, well at least I have for quite some time now. 

AFAIK the only 29" FRC Canis in SA are direct imports, not sure the agents stock them.

Edit: Nevermind, they only make FRC in 26".

Edited by droo

I have the same issue although I am not sure that it is a problem. Tires hold the pressure no problem. post-58849-1456475731,9981.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys!

+1 on upping your pressure a bit. The C3 casing is pretty light, so it can't be run quite as low as something like a Geax. What were you running before?

Previous set were also identical Onza Canis.  Will top up the sealant, give them a few extra pomps, and see whether it helps.  Although, I already run them relatively firm - actually been thinking of running them slightly softer on the trails.

Could also be that your previous pair had the FRC Freeride casing and now you got the C3 Cross country casing. They can both be 60TPI, but my guess is that the FRC would be way stronger. That's what I'm running, 2000km easy.

Thanks yeah - considered this but but both previous and current are identical C3 models with the stronger 60tpi casings.

Spot on Gunu - thanks for the photo.  That's exactly what I'm seeing on mine, and one of my cycling friends is having the same.

Ja, that doesn't look very lekker. Sounds like you've ruled out all the possibilties apart from manufacturing issues. Maybe the shop you bought them from could send them back to the supplier? I think Rush Sports are the distributor, maybe they are aware of a problematic batch.

It turns into a problem once all your sealant dries up and you keep getting flats.

This exactly.  I'm going through sealant quicker than in the past, and in my case the wheels lose pressure overnight & need some air before each ride.

Got the same thing starting on my 27.5. Light diagonal lines all the way around on both sides.

I don't generally run my rear below 1.6.

Sad thing is the tread is still perfect, had it for nearly a year. Sucks replacing a tire before it starts loosing grip.

My Ibex sidewalls up front are still happy with lower pressures.