start cycling

Recardo

Hi.. I want to start cycling..I have R5k to spend. I want to get a good mountain bike. Will this be a good start?

You should be able to find a decent 26 inch hardtail on the hub classifieds for that amount. Will be far better than the bottom of the range new bikes in that price range. Then, once you are convinced mtb'ing is for you, you can upgrade, if you feel the need.

have a look in the classifieds you will find something decent for 5K, make sure you buy a decent helmet and some comfy shorts then you can just enjoy it and upgrade from there.

check online how to measure yourself to see what size MTB you need and then check the classifieds post it here if you need some help deciding or some advice. 

Guys are pretty good when it comes to that!

Depends on your requirements. Stay away from the makro jobbies as you will be chucking it in the trash after a day on a proper trail. I bought n decent axis after shopping around a bit. Had the same kind of budget, but please remember you can't just hop on and ride. You'll need gear as wel. Gloves, pants, helmet, etc. Shop around and check classifieds.

I would say first go to a bike park and rent a bike or borrow a bike to see if its for you and something you could get into.

Then search here in the classifieds for some older models as you will get better bang for your buck than buying something new