Carbon Lateral Flex When Smashing the Pedals

gminator

Hi Guys, 

I recently acquired a set 38mm Carbon Clinchers, until now they been mostly great but 250kms in the lateral flex  on the real wheel is doing my freaking head in! The minute a get out of the saddle or start smashing the pedals I can hear and feel the brakes hissing away my hard earned Watts. I like having my brake engage as early as possible and pulling the brake lever to the handle bar going down suikerbossie/chappies is not fun... I've gotten around it by making mid ride barrel adjustments, but this does not seem like sustainable solution.

I'm led to understand that this can be common with some carbon wheels, is there any way to get around this issue, will increasing spoke tension help? I've tried to tightening up the skewers, but it made a minuscule difference. Has anyone had and fixed this issue without having to go to extreme measures, or is my only option to find a sweet spot with the barrel adjuster?

Thought I just get some opinions before taking it up with the manufacture .

What's the brand?

Spoke count on both rims?

How much do you weigh?

Some hoops have rider weight limits as well

????????

I'm 75kg, it's DH 38mm 24spokes on the rear and 20 on the front I think

There's been several reviews, gminator, where DH owners have complained about flex.

I've never heard of DH wheels failing though.

Obviously, the flex results in a loss of forward thrust or force which marginally limits performance.

Let's see what other forum users think.

Sterkte.

Have no experience with dark horse. But I do have some Chinese carbon wheels.

Mine are 38mm too, with novatec hubs. I have 24/24 bladed spokes.

Wen mine arrived in the post from the east, the dishing was out and tension was all over the place. Took them to the sheriff at summit cycles and he corrected the dishing and sorted spoke tension out. He also added some workable locktite to the nipples to avoid things coming out of line.

I weight 110kgs and put out proper wattage to go along with it. I have not ever once felt/heard/suspected flex in these rims. They've also not gone out of true once. In a year and a half! They're so damn reliable they're my only wheel set now - use them for training and racing.

I can't solve your problems but I suggest you contact DH and get their say on the matter. Perhaps they can offer a solution that will work. It isn't normal though and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

Good luck though! Keep us posted with the outcomes please:)

There's been several reviews, gminator, where DH owners have complained about flex.

I've never heard of DH wheels failing though.

Obviously, the flex results in a loss of forward thrust or force which marginally limits performance.

Let's see what other forum users think.

Sterkte.

Haha yes I've seen some of the posts, I could also almost kick my self for my selective reading in my 'extensive research'

I've sort of got the barrel adjuster to a point when it's almost okish, but again it's been at the cost of the braking feel that I'm normally use to.

I wouldn't call it a faliure, but it's just enough to notice! So far DH after sales support has been great, which is why I wna see if there other things that can be done before going back again assuming there is anything they can do

Wen mine arrived in the post from the east, the dishing was out and tension was all over the place. Took them to the sheriff at summit cycles and he corrected the dishing and sorted spoke tension out. He also added some workable locktite to the nipples to avoid things coming out of line.

I weight 110kgs and put out proper wattage to go along with it. I have not ever once felt/heard/suspected flex in these rims. They've also not gone out of true once. In a year and a half! They're so damn reliable they're my only wheel set now - use them for training and racing.

I can't solve your problems but I suggest you contact DH and get their say on the matter. Perhaps they can offer a solution that will work. It isn't normal though and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

Maybe it's worth taking to the lbs for a slight tune up...

Maybe it's worth taking to the lbs for a slight tune up...

^this, but let a decent wheelbuilder get hold of them to sort them out.

^this, but let a decent wheelbuilder get hold of them to sort them out.

Any recommendations in the the CBD?

Ok took the bike to BMC, they tuned the wheels a bit... Situation seems a bit better, I don't get flex while seated, climbing out the saddle still rubs & flexes but mostly if I start throwing the bike from side to side. It was also of ambient noise with traffic so it was a bit hard to tell unless I really start smashing down on the pedals. 

I'm going to call DH tomorrow, see if anyone else raised this issue before and I what can be done to get them as stiff as possible.

Some call him the Sheriff but those who know call him the 'wheel whisperer' ????

Some call him the Sheriff but those who know call him the 'wheel whisperer' ????

The man is amazing. I miss two things from Johannesburg. A sushi place in Norwood and Summit cycles in midrand. The man is a freaking bike master. And a downright decent human being to boot.

Some call him the Sheriff but those who know call him the 'wheel whisperer'

And some say, he Dangles his tools down low....

Lol pitty his like a days ride away... Otherwise otherwise I would have taken my saggy wheels to him this instant

Archived