20-25k New Ride Options - XC/TRAIL

SeanGrey

Hey Everyone, 

So the usual I'm sure.. which one to purchase. 

Background:

I'm 28, 78kg. Started out cycling again not so long ago. Previously iv ridden BMX when i was in way younger, then road for a year or so on an old Trek budget MTB. Recently started doing a bit of road, cycle track (gravel) and jeep tracks off road routes. Nothing downhill/single track yet but would like something capable of handling some easier single tracks and off-road routes too. I did own a Scott full suspension bike a few years ago but was sold it thinking a could ride a bit on road to gym and also hit trails, it felt incredibly slow and the suspension sucked up pretty much all the power going forward. (Probably also due to incorrect settings and so on). 

What i'm looking for:

I need a bike that I can put some sort of slick tires on. Im using 26x1.50 cheap ones for my old Trek now for on-road and they make a massive difference compared to the stock MTB ones. I would like to do the Argus (for the first time) next year (wont be racing against the clock) but have mates doing it too that are looking at cheap road bikes, perhaps something that can keep up. I have read lots over the years and do realize the differences in angles and components, being more upright, gearing and so on. I don't expect to stay with them the entire way but the more capable the better. 

Not sure if I should be looking at 29er's or 650B's.

I really like the components and everything I have read when it comes to the Silverback 15 Sola 1 (R23,394).

Giant XTC Advanced (R20,750) but read that the above Sola 1 would be better? with better components. 

Trek Superfly 9.6 Carbon (R24.500) 27.5/29

Scott Scale 950 (R21,900) 

I'm thinking the Trek or Silverback one being Carbon the other not. Both Rockshox Reba RL front suspension. Silverback mostly Shimano XT/SLX Trek Deore XT Sram7.

The XC / Cross Country bikes I think would suit me better than trail for what I'm looking for and Hardtail seems to be a good option for my price range (the extra saved on rear suspension going towards frame wheels and components) 

I plan on running off road tires tubeless eventually and getting a spare set of wheels and slicks for on road use. 

I would like advice on any other bikes in that range and on wheel sizes 27.5/29. Also on gearing for road use, Don't want to do any serious mods besides wheels and tires. 

Thanks very much 

Sean 

post-92794-0-69656600-1460107143_thumb.png

post-92794-0-28901200-1460107586_thumb.jpg

I'm a firm believer in the second hand market - for R25k you can get a very good dual suspension that will be infinitely better than the bikes you're considering. You just need to make sure the drivetrain, suspension and pivots (if dual sus) have been well maintained as there can be significant hidden costs there, but I've never encountered any issues and have bought numerous bikes over the years.

If you're stuck on new then go with the one that has the best suspension and wheels (very little difference in performance between mid range groupsets) and has good backup for warranties.

Is that the price for the Silverback????? I remember paying R12500 for the then Vida 1 just before they changed the name to Sola.

Spec wise the Sola BUT the treak having the carbon frame and the reba is excellent. The only upgrade besides the wheels would be brakes..

But thats only when/if they need to be replaced

Good luck!!

Is that the price for the Silverback????? I remember paying R12500 for the then Vida 1 just before they changed the name to Sola.

Spec wise the Sola BUT the treak having the carbon frame and the reba is excellent. The only upgrade besides the wheels would be brakes..

But thats only when/if they need to be replaced

Good luck!!

Yea the price for the Sola 1 is sitting at R23 something very good components but the Trek does have the same Reba and carbon frame.

I'm a firm believer in the second hand market - for R25k you can get a very good dual suspension that will be infinitely better than the bikes you're considering. You just need to make sure the drivetrain, suspension and pivots (if dual sus) have been well maintained as there can be significant hidden costs there, but I've never encountered any issues and have bought numerous bikes over the years.

If you're stuck on new then go with the one that has the best suspension and wheels (very little difference in performance between mid range groupsets) and has good backup for warranties.

Would dual suspension be good for on road? Didn't think it would make much difference and thought maybe it would slow me down on road? Saw someone selling a Giant Anthem carbon suspension full for 24k so I will keep looking around at used bikes too, thanks very much. Just want to try and get the best bike for some road riding with slicks and the rest off road track and so on.

I would go for that trek in a heart beat for what you get that is one damn good price

Thanks BaGearA I think the weight difference is under half a KG between the trek and silverback if I'm not mistaken. Front shocks the same components differ a little. Very confusing choice.

Archived