Shimano ultegra Di2

eccc whippet

the buzz could be coming from the spring behind the microswitch. It will vibrate round in circles and sometimes position itself so that's there's play between itself and the paddle.

just a thought

seems you might be onto something...

I have searched the internet for hours...no other recorded problem like mine.

took the afternoon off and "cleaned" the bike (what i do when i  think)....rode up and down my driveway 100 + times...pushed the buttons a million times...then decided to just throw the bike over the fence...lucky for me a big truck was passing by and it smashed the bike into a million pieces...problem solved :(

Just kidding...raptor might have solved the problem...an early morning ride when it nice and quiet will confirm it...i have tried everything to get it to make the noise.

When you press the rough lever which shifts up  it seems that both springs are compressed...one more than the other...and you bounce the front wheel on the floor there is no noise as if everything is tight and compressed...

however when you press the smooth lever which is the shift down...it seems everything in the lever is loose and you can hear things rattling (like a spring)...which could just be the spring...add a real Durban road with vibration...suddenly we have a whole lot of rattling going on in there...i am thinking maybe it would pay me to spray something into the lever to reduce the noise and lubricate.

I just hope it is something as simple as that...it will save me a whole lot of money ;) and make the tour durban ride on sunday stress free.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent a lot of time on the merida this weekend...what is puzzling me is why the left lever doesnt make the same noise when using it in the same environment.

It seems raptor hit the nail on the head...it seems it is the other spring which makes the noise.

I am thinking maybe some silicon spray might dampen the noise.

• 1 month later...

At this point i have nothing to loose...the bike is out of warranty.

Time to find the problem...went out and sourced a T5 torq to remove the micro switch...put the bike on the work bench...removed the micro switch and identified exactly what is causing the rattle.

c6c5a0b5b012ae93d8040d69d934c03e.jpg

It seems that there is a big spring missing which prevents the paddles from rattling...if you look at the pic below the smooth paddle has a spring but not the rough one...the 2 small springs to the right of the lever are for the micro switches...they seem to be ok.

The question now...is the suppose to be a spring for each paddle? If there is why would someone remove the spring?

I had a look at another bike (didnt strip it) just pressed the paddles and found that the rough paddle is tight even when you press the smooth paddle

0ced8cbb71f5f291cb8f35cfaf5e5213.jpg

My mechanical Ultegra groupset works just fine. Smooth as silk, easy, fast gear changes. Not planning on moving over to Di2 unless I win the Lotto (that reminds me, I should play!). 

Work on the tt shifter before you have 4 springs.2 small triger the switch large to return the switch (open and close the circuit)

My mechanical Ultegra groupset works just fine. Smooth as silk, easy, fast gear changes. Not planning on moving over to Di2 unless I win the Lotto (that reminds me, I should play!).

Trust me I didn't win the lotto...the only reason I bought this bike was because it was cheaper than I could get a new bike with 105 components...lesson learnt.

I have found a temp. solution to silence the rattle...a blob of prestik on the lever combined with rock n roll lube on the chain ...the bike runs smooth and quiet.

After all that it seems if you have 2012/13 ultegra di2 (as in my case the bike was purchased in Feb 2014)you will experience the buzzing/vibration sound (most people wont even notice it) ...it seems they have resolved the issue by fitting 4 springs instead of 3...which now holds the rough paddle tight while changing down...if the road is smooth it is quiet...only when the road gets a little rough will it happen...and it does happen n both left and right lever...just not noticeable on the left lever because you hardly use that lever.

At least i know it isnt a fault on the electrics or the micro switch.

i just need to find a better solution than the prestik...maybe like i did with the racetech chip to stop that rattle...a dab of silicon sealant or spend the R6600 and upgrade to the newer version...i think i am going to rather save the money and upgrade my trek to an 11 spd bike.

After all that it seems if you have 2012/13 ultegra di2 (as in my case the bike was purchased in Feb 2014)you will experience the buzzing/vibration sound (most people wont even notice it) ...it seems they have resolved the issue by fitting 4 springs instead of 3...which now holds the rough paddle tight while changing down...if the road is smooth it is quiet...only when the road gets a little rough will it happen...and it does happen n both left and right lever...just not noticeable on the left lever because you hardly use that lever.

At least i know it isnt a fault on the electrics or the micro switch.

i just need to find a better solution than the prestik...maybe like i did with the racetech chip to stop that rattle...a dab of silicon sealant or spend the R6600 and upgrade to the newer version...i think i am going to rather save the money and upgrade my trek to an 11 spd bike.

Only seen this thread now.

I've been running Ultegra 10spd Di2 since 2012 and never had an issue.

Over the years I have:

Ridden in torrential rain for hours.

Crashed 4 times between 40-60kph.

Updated the software myself.

Put ±30 000kms on the group.

My last crash was a proper one and although everything still worked the shifters were looking very tired and beat-up. 

Not that you mention it I do recall a rattling sound but thought it was just the slightly loose brake levers vibrating in the hoods due to the crashes.

I will call pasted my LBS and check if my old leavers are still there and then compare them to my new 11spd one's.

FYI: Di2 shifters are just a simple buttons and all the "brains" of the system are housed in the derailleurs.

The new 11spd Di2 is incredible and I have ridden everything under the sun (worked in bike shops for 5 years) and nothing comes close. once it's setup you don't have to touch it ever again. No removing bar tape for cables (the new Shimano Teflon cables are $h!t).

Spoke my bike has ultegra 11 spd Di2

I would agree the systems runs perfectly...once setup and aligned correctly...no chain rub on the front derailer as it auto corrects...changing up and down on the front rings is quick.

had an issue with the derailer not dropping into the small gear on the cassette when i got the bike but since they found the hanger was slightly bent...updated the software and realigned it runs perfectly.

I had a look at a new bike with ultegra di2...the lever doesn't have any play on the rough paddle when you press the smooth paddle.

Spoke my bike has ultegra 11 spd Di2

I would agree the systems runs perfectly...once setup and aligned correctly...no chain rub on the front derailer as it auto corrects...changing up and down on the front rings is quick.

had an issue with the derailer not dropping into the small gear on the cassette when i got the bike but since they found the hanger was slightly bent...updated the software and realigned it runs perfectly.

I had a look at a new bike with ultegra di2...the lever doesn't have any play on the rough paddle when you press the smooth paddle.

Just checked both my 10spd and new 11spd shifters and neither have any play in any configuration, rough or smooth depressed or not.

Just checked both my 10spd and new 11spd shifters and neither have any play in any configuration, rough or smooth depressed or not.

i have no idea how i ended up with these dud Di2 levers...the bike was purchased second hand...did someone take the springs out...or did shimano have a dud batch which ended up in these 2014 model bikes...i have no idea and will never know...lesson learnt.

the solution is to replace them at a cost of 6k + or just leave the 50 cent solution (prestik) i am going with the 50 cent solution :(

i have no idea how i ended up with these dud Di2 levers...the bike was purchased second hand...did someone take the springs out...or did shimano have a dud batch which ended up in these 2014 model bikes...i have no idea and will never know...lesson learnt.

the solution is to replace them at a cost of 6k + or just leave the 50 cent solution (prestik) i am going with the 50 cent solution :(

If it just the springs that are missing why don't you take a sample down to your local spring maker and get them to make you some. Done this a few times for Freehud body springs.

spoke is it possible for you to check if there are suppose to be 4 springs or 3 springs in the lever...2 for the micro switch and 2 holding the plastic paddles.

or if there are 2 in the micro switch and 1 big spring holding the paddle.

the reason i ask is because i have a the dealer manual and there is no instruction how to strip the paddles...unless i am missing something.

http://www.btwin.com/notices/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/FACET-SHIMANO-ULTEGRA-Di2-6770-Manual.pdf

one of the reasons i find it odd that someone would actually removed the spring...you need a T5 torx (which is available off the shelf) but not the special tool to strip the lever to gain access to the springs for the paddles...all the bike shops i have been to nobody has the tool..in fact there is nobody i have spoken to in durban who has ever stripped a Di2 lever...just removed the whole lever and replaced with a new lever.

I have spoken to a person at cool heat who indicated that there are suppose to be 4 springs..they had faulty levers which they were going to strip and send me the springs...unfortunately they cant find the levers.

as i mentioned it is not a major fault just irritating noise...which is resolved at the moment with prestik...maybe like riding a marshmallow (anthem) it comes with creeks and crackles no matter how many times you return it to the agents within 5 km of a dirt road the linkage starts making a noise or rememebr to put a dab of chain lube after a wash...you just gotta learn to live with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived