Opinion On Bike Racks

it is a challenge fitting 4 bikes on a rack. would not consider hang rack. it stuffs up your bikes.

I have thule towbar 3 bike carrier but with full sus bikes it's hard to fit 3 bikes because of the arm clamps. The buzzybee does seem to solve the issue tho

Thanks for all the replies,

Well it seems that that the platform is the best option.

Now I know Thule is probably the best to buy but the price is steep.

I was wondering if any has had experience with some of the other brands,

that is between 5-8k:

a. SA Scooter Shop : http://www.sascootershop.co.za/bicycle-rack-thule-4-bike.php

b. Cajees has a Peruzzo but it's a steel frame (don't have a link for this)

c. Autostyle has a EVO 4 : http://www.autostyle.co.za/4-carrier-bike-rack.html

Thanks again

Thule is the way to go, and they're expensive for a reason. NavWorld has a clearance sale on Thule kit now, check them out

I can't find the link for the clearance sale on their site, but give them a call and see what they've got left.

Thanks for

That might explain why most places do not always stock a 4 bike carrier, At this point we will have two adult bikes and two kids bikes 20 and 24 inch, so hopefully this might not be as a tight squeeze ?

Would you then say maybe something like the Thule VeloCompact 927 be better than a hanging rack ?

Mostly for the long trips I'll be using a trailer so will then get something fitted onto the trailer like Larissa has

but not a tow bar mount on the back of the trailer if I understand your first post. Not good for bicycles, or anything for that matter, way too much up down movement. The flex and movement between car and trailer is passed on the rear of the trailer so it ends up with the bikes always being a concern for getting damaged.

but not a tow bar mount on the back of the trailer if I understand your first post. Not good for bicycles, or anything for that matter, way too much up down movement. The flex and movement between car and trailer is passed on the rear of the trailer so it ends up with the bikes always being a concern for getting damaged.

Thanks,

Reading around mounting a towbar does indeed not sound good. So i'll rather be looking at mounting a bike rack on top of the trailer lid.

Hence trying to balance the budget of getting something decent for when using only the car and then get the top mount for the trailer. Linden Cycles does have some nice trailer top mounts.

Thanks,

Reading around mounting a towbar does indeed not sound good. So i'll rather be looking at mounting a bike rack on top of the trailer lid.

Hence trying to balance the budget of getting something decent for when using only the car and then get the top mount for the trailer. Linden Cycles does have some nice trailer top mounts.

I suspect you will - like me - land up with more than 1 rack, and I have also given a few that didn't work so well away - so try to avoid experimenting - gets expensive.

I have a 4 bike towbar mount buzzrack - bit of a hassle to pack with 4 bikes, and you get a collection of pool noodles to stop damage - also takes a few minutes to mount on the towbar, but works well for long trips.

I also have a 2 bike Thule towbar clamp on thing - just for quick trips with 1 of my bikes, or the 2 kids bikes - although I sometimes just put my bike in the back of my suv and the 2 kids ones on the rack

My advice - go and chat to William at Thule in woodmead (same advice I give everyone) and see what he reccomends - he knows what works and what doesn't - just phone up front to see if he is in before - and don't do it on a Saturday, because it gets busy.

I have an older version Thule 4 bike hang on type that fits to towball. It's a real struggle to get 4 bikes on. I then wanted a system to load 4 bikes on a trailer so I bought the buzz rack 4 bike and use part of it to mount on the trailer but can easily assemble it as a tow bar mounted unit when not towing the trailer. I will post pics later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk4a25b43990c12df4e270d00dba97a869.jpg31c763b7c874cde83089af551cfc147c.jpgb8b680ee5aab1a3f2657b26f6cbe318f.jpg

Agree on the tow bar at the back of the trailer, a definite no no! Did it once on the back of my echo off-road trailer, what a nightmare trip, just don't do it!! Also for storage in the garage I bought a spare tow bar and bolted it to the wall, can then place stuff under it and use as a shelf or bike storage off the ground

Archived