Hunsberg Hellride (Namibia)

straatvark

ahh' date=' a good chef is always good to have Big%20smile - what "Weskus"  food are your speciality or do you recommend for a big pot on the fire?

(I was considering taking snoek this year but was afraid how long it will keep fresh in a good cooler box)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, The Godwana people are looking at this thread and might just react on your comments Wink
[/quote']

no straatvark the snoek you can get some fresh frozen ones and wrap them in newspaper when they are frozed and a block of dry ice and away you go you could keep them for a week at least.

nice snoek braaied on the coals with a kreef or two a few patats with some fresh raisin and rosemary bread ,korrel konfyt(hanepoort grape jam) and real butter Big%20smileBig%20smile jis man now i am hungry all over again.

there in namibia hey like their meat so maybe a nice oxtail potjie with red wine or a chicken potjie with old brown sherry sweetpotatoes , apricots and babana topped with peach chutney that is a winner . Its the one i have the most sucess with they eat the pot clean and no leftovers CryCry

sjoe man i think we are doing paella tonight in a skottle i posted some pics a few months ago but that is also nice with tiger prawns , kreef , chiken calamari, and mussels . I will post a pic tomorrow.

ok ok enough food i am starving just you enjoy that holiday and take lotsa pics .

BMC if i was you the Namibian holiday would be top of the pops the green stuuf is also brewed there and at swakopmund they got  a nice brewery too ice cold draught Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

hagar2008-05-08 06:55:41

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ride

Day 1

(109 km, 573 m total ascent) ? The day's stage is mainly good gravel

road, with a spectacular piece of jeep track towards the end.  Leave

the Lodge, when you get to the main road (C37), turn left.  The road undulates through some rocky terrain, after about 35km you get to a T-junction, turn right onto the C10 i.e. to Ai-Ais.  After about 12km you get a road turning off to the left (D316), take this turn i.e. to Noordoewer.  After you?ve come down the long hill past Farm Kanabium, through the river and up the climb a bit you will get to a gate.  Just behind the gate (this place is known as Fred se Punt) is a sign that says Rosh Pinah/Aussenkehr and another one saying Norothshama, take this road i.e. turn right onto the D207.  Travel

on this road until you get to a split in the road (there is an old

gate), take the right hand road, i.e. go into the river.  Follow the jeep track in the river until you can see the Orange River.  The track climbs out of the river to the right, follow this track until you get onto the main road.  Turn right onto the main road and follow the road for about 2km.  On the left you will see a fairly deep donga/river, there is a track in this river leading down to the Orange.  This is where we will camp for the night.

Day 2 (67.7 km, 620 m total ascent) ? The day's stage is all good gravel road.  Leave the campsite and follow the road down the Orange River, i.e. in a westerly direction.  After a few kilometres the road veers away from the river and starts to climb into the mountains.  After the top of the climb it is another 15 km to the Fish River Mouth, this is a good spot for a break.  From here on you will be following the Orange again.  There are no roads branching off this road so you shouldn?t get lost until you get to Sendelingsdrift (you don?t actually get there but you will see some buildings on a hill).  At Sendelingsdrift you turn away from the river and travel north toward Rosh Pinah.  You will travel along a very twisty section of road until you emerge at the Water Affairs pumpstation.  Turn left and take the road that runs between the staff houses and the pumpstation.  You will climb over a steep hill and then descend again down to the river.  At the bottom of the hill turn left into the old recreation area where we will camp for the night.  Be careful on this entire section of road!!  There are some sharp, blind turns and the road is quite narrow in places and there are usually some manic drivers.

Day 3

(106 km, 600 m total ascent) ? The day's stage is all gravel road which

is in a poor condition in places.  We will transport our bikes from

Sendelingdrift to Witputs, about 66km of uphill, tarred road.  We start the day?s stage at Witputs (junction C13/D463) and take the D463 in an easterly direction. 

The gravel road on this section of the ride has not been graded since

the rains of 2006 and hence there are some tricky river crossings so

watch out.  Stay on this road until the farm Huns where the

D459 splits off, you will come through a river where there is a farm

homestead on your right.  Turn right (this is still the D463!)

and continue until you get to a big river with lots of camelthorn trees

(there is an old farmhouse on the right hand side of the road).  This is the Konkiep River and we will spend the night here.

Day 4

(72.6 km, 651 m total ascent) ? The day's stage starts on a good gravel

road but as soon as we turn into Canyon Nature Park it will be mainly

jeep track, some of this is quite tough with loose gravel and thick

sand.  We will leave the Konkiep and continue in an easterly direction

on the D463.  After about 10km you will see a sign that says Canyon Nature Park.  Turn right and take this road until you get to the Soutkuil farmhouse.  Leave the house in a southerly direction, after about 12km we get to De Beer?s Pass.  Be careful, the pass has been concreted but there is loose gravel on the concrete and there is a gate in the middle of this pass so don?t go too fast down the hill (hopefully the gate will be open but don?t bet on it).  Keep travelling on this road until you get to Wegdraai farmhouse, travel across the yard and continue southwards to Kochas farmhouse.  From there you go east toward the Fish River.  We will camp at a place called Kochasdrif on the Fish for the night.

Day 5

(50 km, 1000 m total ascent) - The day's stage starts with jeep track

but as soon as you are on the main road it is good gravel.  After

crossing the Fish you start to climb towards the main road.  Once you get to the main road (C37), turn left and continue, past the Ca?on Lodge, until you get to the T-junction with the D601.  Turn right and continue to the Ca?on Roadhouse (you can't miss it, there are too many sign inviting you to stay!).  Turn left and sprint to the finish (and hopefully a nice, ice-cold beer!).

my passport is in order Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

flippen heck .... when is this .... ? hagar, go into sales Wink

i want to do this ...

last year it was from 29 april to 5 may.

not sure this year . hey i am almost halfway there so its even closer for me Big%20smileBig%20smile

i need to do some talking to Sweetie WinkWink wonder if she will let me go on my own EmbarrassedEmbarrassed who is gonna make my coffee in the morning Embarrassed??

flippen hell hagar - now i'm so hungry... I was banging my head for 3 weeks on what food I could make for my cooking evening and still end up with tjops, wors en pap Confused - you just roll it out like thatClapClap

If you make food like that i will make the coffee in the morningLOL

flippen hell hagar - now i'm so hungry... I was banging my head for 3 weeks on what food I could make for my cooking evening and still end up with tjops' date=' wors en pap Confused - you just roll it out like thatClapClap

If you make food like that i will make the coffee in the morningLOL

[/quote']

deal mate Thumbs%20Up put me on the list for next year I am dead keen Big%20smileBig%20smile cant wait it looks awesome . pap and wors is also nice with that nice sous . nee wat ek is nou so honger Cry

Yip Hagar !! Have to chat to director ... sani2c, tour of mauritius, volunteer for epic .... oi..going to be a good yr in 2009 !

Knysna for me this year,and 94.7 and want to twist the arm for Shova too. If i said maurituis Sweetie will skop my gat  broken Ouch

but now i have to put this Hunsberg on my calender for next year . get my pots ready for the cooking LOLLOL skottle braai eish it sounds stunning.

Straadvark you got some more pics to post I hope ??? please please please if you come this way again make a stop in Saldanha and we can make a lekker snoek on the coals . We call it a sampler for next year LOL

Skollie, the url by hagar is correct and i can send some Google earth kml files if you PM me.

This year the distance were shorter, but except for the second day, done on very nice jeep track, rock or sand. I don?t use a cycle computer but guess it as 60km, 80km, 60km, 40km, 30km  (Did i mentioned that the 1ste day was about 40km of sand? Confused The missus had a steep learning curve but end up on top LOLLOLLOL - very proud of her)

My Personal Comments on the event:
You need to drink "Tafel" Wink
It focus on fun/friendship - not extreme mountains/distances.
It is not a commercial event, so what you need, you take with yourself.
In the evenings, "food evenings" are assigned to families and share around a single fireplace.
It is finished with a black tie (your inner tube) dinner at the canon Roadhouse.
After 5 days you leave the region with new friends and a hand made copper medal - mine is on a special place next to the fireplace.

Now the bad news: it is almost impossible to get place at the HH Ouch - the logistics make it impossible to accommodate a lot of people and preference are given to people who had done it the year before (and they do come back). I am just a normal participant that was lucky to get a place last year - saw the poster at the Argus expo and the missus had the Liquid launch last year for that week, so i took the "gap" and went. So the applications must go through the official web site contact details. Word of mouth recommendations might swing it in your way as a new entrant. (or your cooking abilities Big%20smile)

Now the good news is that MTB riding opportunities might be available in the future in the Godwana area. But this is not a given and i can?t really comment more - it is the owners decision and they are looking into it currently and with this sort of interest, might just be convinced the right way.

I must mention as well that a big part of the "normal" route are done on public roads so anyone can go there as a group i assume, but with the nice rides we had this year i would rather wait for the Godwana outcome.

Now the bad news: it is almost impossible to get place at the HH Ouch - the logistics make it impossible to accommodate a lot of people and preference are given to people who had done it the year before (and they do come back). I am just a normal participant that was lucky to get a place last year - saw the poster at the Argus expo and the missus had the Liquid launch last year for that week' date=' so i took the "gap" and went. So the applications must go through the official web site contact details. Word of mouth recommendations might swing it in your way as a new entrant. (or your cooking abilities Big%20smile)

[/quote']

oh well that excludes us then .. cant well go all that way and not be part of the HOLE event

Word of mouth recommendations might swing it in your way as a new entrant. (or your cooking abilities Big%20smile)

Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile you wont be sorry LOLLOLLOL may be you will put on more kilos from the food that what you loose on a ride LOLLOL

no sounds really nice and what a way to make new friends sounds just so awesome.

Straadvark can I pm you for those kml's please

Big%20smile

oh well that excludes us then .. cant well go all that way and not be part of the HOLE event

not at all Slowbee, I got in last year without knowing anyone and this year there was new people as well. I just dont want to create the impression that you pay a fee, sign a form and that there is no limit on rider numbers.

Email Holger, tell him you like Tafel a lot Tongue, and that you would really like to have see Namibia on a MTB.

not at all Slowbee' date=' I got in last year without knowing anyone and this year there was new people as well. I just dont want to create the impression that you pay a fee, sign a form and that there is no limit on rider numbers.

Email Holger, tell him you like Tafel a lot Tongue, and that you would really like to have see Namibia on a MTB.
[/quote']

Maybe I can tell him I want to see namibia, while cycling with the wife !!