Thickness of tyre (MTB)

wessel

What is the difference between let's say a 1.9 and a 2.1 tyre (MTB) and the practicallities of using it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a 2.0 tire is bit wider but not as much rolling resistance as a 2.1 or 2.3

But wider tires have better cornering abbilities

The wider a tyre the more surface it's got to grip (at the correct pressure) which can also be argued as more rolling resistance.

So for Off-road racing the thicker has more handling capabilities while wasting more energy

So which is better?
wessel2008-05-05 06:56:45

Oh btw, it is width, not thickness. Thickness is how much rubber there is on the casing.

a faster tire like Larsen mimo or

Schwable Furios Fred or Hutchinson python

On a dry road with sand and lots of hardpack try the hutchinson python...and in mud bontrager mud x

Unless you are doing the crater cruise or Karoo2coast you will not feel the so called rolling resistance on the bigger 2.3 tyres . But it depends on the conditions and a wider tyre may not always give you better cornering/grip/control or wahtever else . When it is very muddy I like to think the 1.9 gives better performance than a thicker tyre . Here the whole issue of clearance for mud also comes into play . That is why the 2.1 is such a popular size , it is generaly good in most conditions . If you are going to do the lighthouse2lighthouse I will go for as thick a tyre as I can squize into my frame and so we can take each race and assign a tyre to it !! But who the hell of us insponsored riders can afford that anyway ?