Trek Stache

FCH

Very late to the party but I also dig my Krampus! I can ride most places here in Stellenbosch without too much hassle but rock gardens at speed beats me up. Would't mind having a dropper post though.

Just a pity 29+ tires are so damn expensive and rare.

You should be able to get Chupacabra's through any Trek dealer, and any bike shop that stocks Maxxis should be able to get Chronicles for you too.

Still love my Krampus.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I had my Cotic Solaris max in 27.5+ format for a while, after some time on the bike I didn't like it as much as I initially did to be honest. Steering was vague, and the bike was sluggish. Recently switched over to 29" format with 2.4" tyres and the bike has been transformed - much faster and more playful (more playfulness wasn't an effect I wasn't expecting) I'm finding myself using the bike much more now.

I see the apeal of plus tyres. But I tried it on my full suspension trail bike - didn't like it, then the steel hardtail, and it just didn't gel with me. In both instances I found the 29" wheels with proper tyres (2.4") to be lighter, grippier, and more responsive to steering input.

Haven't tried 29+ yet - I can't imagine I'll get along with it based on my experience with 27.5+, but am quite keen to try it out...

EDIT: Haha I see I posted in this thread a while back when I had just turned my dual suspension bike into 29er and put the 27.5+ wheels on the hardtail - thought it was the way to go at the time - seems the hours spent on the plus hardtail have changed my mind! But... I do still think plus tyres are better suited to hardtails than dual suspension bikes.

Haha, I bought WTB Rangers from CRC for R512 (before VAT etc.) a while back. They have the Tough casing so they are quite heavy (and oddly a bit narrower than the previous Knards) but they seam a lot less fragile and the tubeless conversion was painless. Chronicles was an option but they are pricey.

Archived