Opinions on Formula 33 fork

willemjnaude

So, I have decided to give my trusty 26er a new lease on life and to do a few upgrades. I would get a "26" tatoo if that wasn't frowned upon????

CWC has the Formula 33 on sale for R3k, and I cant find much on the interwebs about this fork. Does anybody have any experience with their product that could make my decision more informed?

Just some background: looking to replace the dual air Reba on my Camber 26er. I have never been able to find that sweet spot on the Reba where its compliant but not bottoming out at low pressures. Hoping a change of fork may solve this. I ride mostly trail/XC type stuff, no big jumps or anything. Also, would like to keep the travel at 120mm.

Thanx

If you can find service parts or spares for it, give it a shot.

I haven't been able to so far.

I cant comment on the formula fork but I think the problem you are having with the reba is exactly the reason RS developed their bottomless tokens.

If you do some googling there are some pages where guys have "macgyvered" their own tokens for the older forks. I even saw an example where a guy used a plastic wine cork to reduce the internal volume of his air spring.

Oh well...not keen on sitting with a fork and being stuck without spares.

Regarding the bottomless tokens, are these only available for the more recent model Reba? Not a big fan of 'maak 'n plan' solutions that will just give me problems later on.

First question on the Reba though - are you setting up the negative spring pressure properly?

If you've got that right, the tokens could be a solution - they come with a topcap and will fit any 32mm model AFAIK.

I cant comment on the formula fork but I think the problem you are having with the reba is exactly the reason RS developed their bottomless tokens.

If you do some googling there are some pages where guys have "macgyvered" their own tokens for the older forks. I even saw an example where a guy used a plastic wine cork to reduce the internal volume of his air spring.

Ya, save your money. Although not advised I have added Fox float oil to the air chamber on my old Fox in the past . A small amount makes quite a big difference and has the same effect as a token. Reduced air volume means a sharper spring curve and no more bottoming when done right.