Whitters

I was carrying alot of spare stuff for Mrs Slowbee, this was her first one and she was terrified about being hungry between spots and or not liking the food at the water points. (also good Munga training).

I wanted her pack to only have water in and keep it as light as possible. I also carried alot of extra "energy stuff" for her and also emergencies. There is berocca superboost and also vit-a-go. There is also an extra packet of "PVM octane" 750ml gets finished very fast in a 7 hr day so having spare is a good idea. While you may get physically tired, if you stay hydrated with food in the system you will always be mentally alert and this makes a difference. I would rather be overstocked in the knowledge that we will be safe rather than rely soley on WP's. I mean that lady selling water at the base of iconic made a killing ! And the weather was not even hot! So many riders just do not carry enough water!

In terms of hangers and jockey wheels, our ride plan was to always cut it close to the cut off time. If we lost a hanger or jockey out on the road the ride would be over anyway, so no point in carrying that sort of stuff. And if the hanger breaks, just pop a HTFU pill and go single speed.

Also, one needs to decide where to draw the line on spare stuff to carry. One guy even had spare spokes in his bag. Like as in really ? You going to fix a spoke? But maybe the guy had skills and knew how to do it. For me, there are some things, I cant (wont) fix if they break roadside and consider my ride over if they break.

I hear you. If I think back to my first stage race and all the bike tools and spares I packed in my box compared to what is packed these days.....it's a miracle I ever managed to carry it to my tent and as they say, happy wife, happy life. Awesome that you could ride the event together.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was carrying alot of spare stuff for Mrs Slowbee, this was her first one and she was terrified about being hungry between spots and or not liking the food at the water points. (also good Munga training).

I wanted her pack to only have water in and keep it as light as possible. I also carried alot of extra "energy stuff" for her and also emergencies. There is berocca superboost and also vit-a-go. There is also an extra packet of "PVM octane" 750ml gets finished very fast in a 7 hr day so having spare is a good idea. While you may get physically tired, if you stay hydrated with food in the system you will always be mentally alert and this makes a difference. I would rather be overstocked in the knowledge that we will be safe rather than rely soley on WP's. I mean that lady selling water at the base of iconic made a killing ! And the weather was not even hot! So many riders just do not carry enough water!

In terms of hangers and jockey wheels, our ride plan was to always cut it close to the cut off time. If we lost a hanger or jockey out on the road the ride would be over anyway, so no point in carrying that sort of stuff. And if the hanger breaks, just pop a HTFU pill and go single speed.

Also, one needs to decide where to draw the line on spare stuff to carry. One guy even had spare spokes in his bag. Like as in really ? You going to fix a spoke? But maybe the guy had skills and knew how to do it. For me, there are some things, I cant (wont) fix if they break roadside and consider my ride over if they break.

Same here. I went to pick up a spare hanger for my bike the week before Sani. I've had the bike for a while but never had one. The shop wanted to charge me R700 for the hanger, which in my book is excessively steep, so I told them to keep it. Riding in the hope that I'd never have to use it.

I find I carry less and less.

Now it's:

mulititool (all you really need of this is chain tool)

spare slimed tube (damn heavy) but have used spare tubes enough to carry them

tyre levers

2 bombs, bomb adapter

tubeless puncture kit

chain quick link (I think)

Spare energy bars or gel, but never use them so their days are numbered. (But they always come in handy on some other random ride where I scrounge around in the bottom of my Camelbak to see if there is anything mouldering there that I can eat...)

Not sure you need much more than that.

And medical kit:

micropore plaster - human duct tape

spaceblanket - when you need one, you need one.  And sometimes you need one when you don't think you'd need one.

Archived