Pain in Right thumb after cycling

Good day hubland.

I am battling with pain in my RH thumb after cycling, to such an extend that i cannot open a screw cap on a bottle anymore. The pain starts where the thumb joins my palm. I have been to doctors, physio's and even asked my LBS without success so now in a desperate attempt to get this resolved, i am looking at Dr. Hubland for some advise.

have any of you had such pains only in 1 hand and how did you fix it?

I changed grips some time back - but cannot remember if the pain started after the grip change.

At this stage all and any advise will be welcome.

thanks

When they said "pull your finger out", they didn't mean LITERALLY...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On a more helpful note, check your alignment / angle of brakes / shifters / dropper post.  If they are too steep, you could be using your thumb to carry your body weight instead of your entire palm.

I had a similar problem until i fiddled with the angle of my brakes - they usually determine your hand position.

When they said "pull your finger out", they didn't mean LITERALLY...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On a more helpful note, check your alignment / angle of brakes / shifters / dropper post.  If they are too steep, you could be using your thumb to carry your body weight instead of your entire palm.

I had a similar problem until i fiddled with the angle of my brakes - they usually determine your hand position.

If only I pulled the finger harder to get some speed out of it! haha

Thanks I will play with the angle a bit - cant do any harm to change it for a ride or 3 and see how it goes. Makes sense as most of the shifting and braking is done on the RH side...

Thank you

Besides the position of the shifter - you might have a worn/tight gear cable.

You won't believe how many bikes we get with this problem. Guys are actually straining the shifters when changing gears. On my bike I'm changing cables at least twice to three times a year.

I'd suggest going for a proper bike fit.

I dd a ergofit to sort out the uhhmmm well fit.

I didnt have any issues after the fit, and rode for some time before this new niggle appeared. 

The only change i made, was to replace the standard grips with luvhandles.

Maybe a good test to revert back to the oldies and see...

Besides the position of the shifter - you might have a worn/tight gear cable.

You won't believe how many bikes we get with this problem. Guys are actually straining the shifters when changing gears. On my bike I'm changing cables at least twice to three times a year.

I am guilty with this.... my cables are not as clean and smooth as they can be. I have cleaned them a few weeks back but they are not silky smooth....not even close.

Might have to drop the steeds off there by you for a service and cable replacement. Havent replaced any cable inner/outers in more than a year

Can I suggest (after a proper bike fit) that you try riding without gloves a few times - sometimes new gloves affect nerve and blood flow in the hand - same goes for new grips

Otherwise, time for an MRI scan to see if there is a fracture or other issue visible in the hand and wrist.

After I broke my wrist i bought grips like these:

post-43948-0-70076100-1467968275_thumb.jpg

(Picture compliments of CWCycles.co.za where I bough them)

They have helped me a lot compared to the round (Lizzard skins) that I had on previously.

After I broke my wrist i bough grips like these:

attachicon.gifErgon Grips.jpg

(Picture compliments of CWCycles.co.za where I bough them)

They have helped me a lot compared to the round (Lizzard skins) that I had on previously.

BDF, sorry for the hijack, but did these grips relieve pressure on the wrists? I broke both arms about 2 months ago and am about to start riding again. I have silicone grips at present, and have expected to experience some discomfort.

BDF, sorry for the hijack, but did these grips relieve pressure on the wrists? I broke both arms about 2 months ago and am about to start riding again. I have silicone grips at present, and have expected to experience some discomfort.

KarlvN, yes they did. Because they can lock on, they maintain the angle at which you fit them. The heel of your hand is supported by the sticky-outy-thingy and that has helped both with the carple tunnel issue and the angle of the hand to forearm.

KarlvN, yes they did. Because they can lock on, they maintain the angle at which you fit them. The heel of your hand is supported by the sticky-outy-thingy and that has helped both with the carple tunnel issue and the angle of the hand to forearm.

Thanks for the advise, BDF. I will definitely be looking into these grips. By the sounds of it most of my pre-crash hand tiring looks to be resolved by these then. I also have carpal tunnel from a fall a few years ago when I banged my elbow on the tar after a knob failed to stop his car at the stop street.

• 4 weeks later...

So after a few agonizing kilometers on the bike I had enough and went to the Dr this morning to help get this sorted.

Seems I have De-Quervain syndrome.

In normal language - overuse of the thumb, most likely caused by changing gears during the ride.

http://www.assh.org/handcare/hand-arm-conditions/de-quervain-syndrome 

So next step is some rest a brace and meds, coupled with a session or 2 at the physio.

Maybe this diagnoses can help someone with the same problems narrow it down going forward.

So after a few agonizing kilometers on the bike I had enough and went to the Dr this morning to help get this sorted.

In normal language - overuse of the thumb, most likely caused by changing gears during the ride.

So next step is some rest a brace and meds, coupled with a session or 2 at the physio.

Maybe this diagnoses can help someone with the same problems narrow it down going forward.

**** I literally just posted about this this morning.

Except mine is on the left hand?

No pain yet, just thumb mobility affected and weak?

See what Robodog said a few posts back about tight gear cables due to excessive friction.

I rode a S2C day in thick mud a few years back and by the end of it the shifters would hardly move.

It is quite inexpensive to fit new cables and casings. Most upmarket 10spd and 11 spd shifters have a light crisp feel with new cables.

The angle of the shifter pod on the bar is also important.

Specialized sells Contour grips in at least three different sizes. These have 'wings' like the Ergon grips but a lot more subtle. The thickness of the grip plus the thickness of padding in your gloves can affect comfort so make sure the combination matches your hand size

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived