26er or 650b trail/enduro bike on a budget

Xanderstander

Sure buddy. You rode more bicycles than George Clooney at a swingers party.

I look forward to seeing what bike you'll be on next time I see you.

Your mate with(out) the Teocali by any chance...?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Reign X looks like a good deal. Bear in mind that these bikes had older style geometry  - ie short TT and reach numbers. If you are usually on a medium, try and get a large. Stand over is huge and the extra reach makes descending far more comfortable and less tiring. 

I have a large Reign 2013, 26er frame size L for sale if you are interested in building up a bike. It will be a bit lighter than the Reign X 

Aaaaaand what sort of money would you be looking for...?  :whistling:

Edit: Just weighing up my options here....

Aaaaaand what sort of money would you be looking for...?  :whistling:

Edit: Just weighing up my options here....

FWIW Gregg, you'd be better off on an XL of that era. Reach of those old reign & reign x frames is hella short. as in 408mm or so. Compared to the Spaz that hairy has, it's positively miniscule. Tim must have been SUPER cramped on that thing. His current steed has a reach figure of 470mm or so. 

FWIW Gregg, you'd be better off on an XL of that era. Reach of those old reign & reign x frames is hella short. as in 408mm or so. Compared to the Spaz that hairy has, it's positively miniscule. Tim must have been SUPER cramped on that thing. His current steed has a reach figure of 470mm or so. 

Thanks Myles  :thumbup:  

I need to stop reading these threads. They could potentially cost me money I don't have...

Having said that, it'll most likely be better than the medium goose that you're currently on. 

I can kick myself.... there was a Large Teocali on here a few months ago that I was watching. Then the owner pulled the ad and I haven't seen it again. It was a good buy looking at the chart below. Think it would have suited my build a lot better.....

http://www.mongoose.com/media/catalog/product/m/o/mongoose-teocali-geo-2012_1.jpg

I have a large Reign 2013, 26er frame size L for sale if you are interested in building up a bike. It will be a bit lighter than the Reign X 

Sorry for the hijack....

I might also be interested, any idea of price for the frame?

Howzit Myles. So if I'm about 1.84m ish.. do you think a large reign should still be fine? Still can't decide between the stumpy and the reign. The reign looks like a better deal in terms of my tight budget, since it has a lekker dropper with it, plus it seems like a very lekker bike, but the reviews of those stumpies are great, so I'm tempted.. I'm struggling to find reviews for the reign x though.

my 10cents on topic. Having converted a Ellsworth Truth front wheel to 650b and ran 26" back with mofo rear tyre. The big thing to consider is suspension. think 140 is sweet spot. and the weight counts in your favour on Enduro and DH. A light bike gets thrown around a fair bit.

I prefer 650b over 29" because of agility. 26" is even better if you ride a lot of twisty single track stuff. But 29" can help with very rocky conditions.

I've now converted my ellsworth to jump bike - cant sell it for a door stop. Will try it next week. Hope it nails the track. But essentially bottomed out rear suspension on enduro runs.

Look at nice big phat tires like 2,4 or 2,5" Onza's or Maxxis Minions.

Howzit Myles. So if I'm about 1.84m ish.. do you think a large reign should still be fine? Still can't decide between the stumpy and the reign. The reign looks like a better deal in terms of my tight budget, since it has a lekker dropper with it, plus it seems like a very lekker bike, but the reviews of those stumpies are great, so I'm tempted.. I'm struggling to find reviews for the reign x though.

dude. At 1.84m that reign will feel small (headshot can attest to that) I had one (reign x) and it was very short and I'm 1.8m - old school geometry, in other words. That stumpy there was ahead of its time ito geometry. 

Essentially the large reign (old one) has the same measurements as a current medium / small frame in terms of reach. 

Oh. Reign X is a BEAST of a bike. Loved mine, but compared to my current bike (new reign) it was clearly too small for me. 

Gents if I may add some advice so you don't end up trying all the bikes to get one that feels right...at the right price...A Teocali has a good amount of travel but the way it uses the travel is not efficient.  The rear triangle is not very stiff. I've had 2 already, the comp (nicely upgraded durolux fork boobar etc etc then got stolen) and super (with high volume fox can, flox ex rims and lotsa other nice bits) but they still did not feel as confidence inspiring as any of the post 2009 treks I've owned, and I've had a few already.

Lateral stiffness through the frame to rear triangle is the key, second to that in my opinion is the way the rear suspension uses its available travel, and good rims to transfer all this vertically with as little flex as possible. I now ride a rated 120mm frame that uses all of its travel (true 136-140mm travel, measured) and it handles much better than a specialized Enduro, Teocali, Kona stinky, Haro and I'm not sure what else I had. I will like to add a set of AM carbon rims to finish my bike off.

I will also suggest any of the DW link type bikes, like the Intense Uzzi, Santa Cruz Blur coz they have a good progressive rear feel that you easily learn to use they are laterally stiff as well. I'd like to try a Turner and Pivot, they look special

Archived