Villiersdorp mtb routes

KevinG

Looking at doing some rides in and around Villiersdorp. Anybody know of decent mtb routes that dont just meander through vinyards and orchards? Can one do the Rusty Gate loop from Villiersdorp over to Greyton or is it all on private land?

We used to cycle from vyeboom, groenlandberg down old houw hoek and then back to vyeboom through botrivier. If you are keen you can work in a paul cluver/oak valley in the middle.

• 2 years later...

Any one know if the Rusty gate climb over from Helderstroom is open to the public.

Plan on doing a bike packing trip and would like to get to Villiersdorp without touching a big part of the tar road.

Advise will be much appriciated

Regards

Any one know if the Rusty gate climb over from Helderstroom is open to the public.

Plan on doing a bike packing trip and would like to get to Villiersdorp without touching a big part of the tar road.

Advise will be much appriciated

Regards

You will have to cross 2 private farms if you want to get from Rusty Gate to the other side of the Mountain.  The climb up to the Rusty Gate entrance should not be a problem to ride, I have done that a few times.  Obviously, you don’t turn right towards Rusty Gate but keep going up, nasty climb that one.  When you get to the top you will be at Boskloof Farm and from there you will head down the other side of the mountain over another farm, Thee Waters Kloof Farm.  I would try and get permission from them to cycle there if I were you and I doubt that they will deny you access.

There is a gate at the bottom of the road on the Villiersdorp side opposite the golf course.  Not sure if it will open for you on your MTB.  We usually take the fire road that goes down towards the dam and spits you out at the dam wall.

Our farm is across the river from Helderstroom and I’m going there this weekend.  I can ask my dad if he has the contact details of those two farms if you want to phone them and arrange access. 

We seldom shoot people that cycle over our farms without permission, but we do prefer that they ask before they just ride over the farm.

Great advice. I am a farmer myself and share the same view on cyclists.

Usually not a problem. In this case i would like to make contact with the landowners.

Spoke to Andrew White from Greyton. He will speak to the landowner on my behalf but if you have the contact details I will appreciate it.

We are doing a bike pack trip

Worcester -> Mcgregor->Greyton->Worcester

Rusty climb is for sure going to be the main obstacle of the trip.