Child Carrier

wicusr

HI all, 

I am looking into buying a child carrier for a 2 year old.

ALso have a small 5 month old baby that I want to take with me riding at a later stage.

Which baby carrier is the best / safest.

I have looked at the Thule RIdeAlong and Weeride - Weeride seems to work well with small children (leg room seems limited?)

how does these trailer carriers work?

any suggestions?

A baby seat at the back (like a cheap Giant seat) works well for a 2-year old.

There is a reason why they do not make tiny helmets as below 1-year a baby's neck can't handle the constant shocks. The Wee-ride is great as it is front mounted and doesn't jolt as much as a back carrier but careful as the wind hits the face constantly. I would only use a Weeride from 9 months + and be very careful while doing so. Once 1.5 years I would move them on a back seat as it's more sheltered.

I ride with both kids at the moment one front and one back as my wife's frame is too small for a Weeride.

If your kid can sit still a trailer may work, I have no experience with those but I prefer to have my kids as close to me as possible. Would be interesting to hear how easy it is to pull a trailer vs having both kids on 2 seats.

for starters ot will only be the 2 year old that I want to take along.

The smaller one will only join when she is over a year.

is it worth it buying a Thule or liek you say, the cheap Giant or Polisport

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/polisport-bubbly-baby-seat

where do one buy a Giant child carrier from?

I would not buy a child carrier new as they do not wear a lot and you can pick them up half price. Check thehub classified and gumtree regularly. I would also post a wanted ad as I'm sure some hubbers may have one stacked away and forgotten about.

I have a spare Giant one but will be using it in a few months time.

I wouldn't use a carbon bike with a carrier as I'm not sure carbon can handle the stress. I also had to fabricate an adapter to my seatpost.

Thanks, I was actually looking at that a few minutes ago - are they very stable / safe?

Yeah, you need to make sure you attach the straps securely. I've never had an issue, I've ridden many many km's with my son on it.

The feva star seat is really awesome. I've done many a mile with my son on it and he loves it. He has even fallen asleep on it before on a very long ride...

This works well for me....

post-27993-0-27437100-1472040270_thumb.jpg

just put a folded towel or small pillow on the seat. The seat section does get a bit hard after a while.

Archived