Looking for a large 29er dual suspension R30 000

Cyclingzak

So a friend of mine wants to upgrade to a dual suspention. He is in his middle 50s and has been cycling many years. He is looking for a softer and more comfortable ride that doesn't put so much strains on his body(lower back).

I was looking at the following bikes.

Giant anthem

Momsen Vipa

Scat scale 960

Trek superfly

Give me your opinions and recommendations please.

The Trek Superfly is now a hardtail only.

Have a look at the Trek Fuel EX 5 +-R30k RRP, slightly more travel = comfort + more upright position = more comfort....

I have the trek superfly AL Pro 100 Large frame which i am thinking of selling. Its mint condition if your friend is interested. 082 263 9002

As far as I know the Scale is hard tail. Have a look at the Scott Spark.

The Scott Spark is in my opinion the best quality/value.

Also look at the Giant Trance.. I ride the Anthem 29er, my cousin the Trance 650b..both great bikes but imo the Trance is a more comfortable bike.. The stand over height is also lower due to the frame design

Also add Spez Camber. Very comfy. Not as slack geometry as Trance but definitely more relaxed than the more XC orientated bikes in your opening post. There's a couple in the classifieds i think.

So a friend of mine wants to upgrade to a dual suspention. He is in his middle 50s and has been cycling many years. He is looking for a softer and more comfortable ride that doesn't put so much strains on his body(lower back).

Giant anthem

Momsen Vipa

Scat scale 960

Trek superfly

I assume he's looking for a used bike at that price?

I've owned three bikes on that list. They are all good. Would not buy a Superfly 2nd hand because of known BB issues. The Vipa's great. Perhaps my favorite.

Giant anthem

Momsen Vipa

Scat scale 960

Trek superfly

I've owned three bikes on that list. They are all good. Would not buy a Superfly 2nd hand because of known BB issues. The Vipa's great. Perhaps my favorite.

As far as I know the Scale is hard tail. Have a look at the Scott Spark.

The Scott Spark is in my opinion the best quality/value.

Hi thanks for correcting me, i was referring to the spark, we were looking at the 2016 model. Do you have aney experience with this bike?

Also add Spez Camber. Very comfy. Not as slack geometry as Trance but definitely more relaxed than the more XC orientated bikes in your opening post. There's a couple in the classifieds i think.

Hi ill go have a look at the spez, domt know anyone that rides spez and hear alot of people hating on the brand and saying its overpriced. But i geuss if its the most popular bike at the cape epic then it should be good.

Yes we are looking at a secondhand bike thats been cared for. Is there a reson why you would choose the vipa?

Hi ill go have a look at the spez, domt know anyone that rides spez and hear alot of people hating on the brand and saying its overpriced. But i geuss if its the most popular bike at the cape epic then it should be good.

I have owned just about all the different brands of bikes..

Merida,Silverback,Fuji,Giant,Scott,Trek,GT and now Spez

Nothing wrong with any of the brands though..alot comes down to personal taste/opinion

At the end the frames are all from Taiwan with more or less the same parts..but you might have a point when looking at best bang for buck not going spez route

If your friend can stretch to a XL

There is one hell of a nice Santa Cruz just posted for R29500

He is looking for a softer and more comfortable ride that doesn't put so much strains on his body(lower back).

He may end up disappointed. The action and position of cycling is what strains the lower back, and a soft tail bike will only ease this marginally. It's definitely more comfortable, but it won't help with lower back strain.

I speak from experience here - slipped the L5 disc 2 months back as a result of a weakened lower back from way too much 'bike only' training. I've learnt a heck of a lot about lower back muscles in the past 60 days...