West Coast Express Cancelled!

Outriders Press Office

Will PPA open the One Tonnee entries for some stranded cyclists?

Doubt it. Im willing to give my entry to a friend as I wont be here, but they dont want to do it.

Wonder why the late notification?

From prov traffic, I guess?

2 days before the event

Snaaks

May I add with extension to the league entry till yesterday (Thursday) - you has too ask did they really knot know?

I off to Durban 1st thing tomorrow morning for a race Sundays so does not impact the riders I will be managing!

Doubt it. Im willing to give my entry to a friend as I wont be here, but they dont want to do it.

Its not a seperate seeding event, pick up the sticker before hand and then just hand it to him... No need for a transfer.

"This late notice comes as a complete surprise and the cancellation was only triggered as a result of the race’s organising committee meeting with the contractors to request assistance in making the road as wide and safe as possible. This discussion about safety and the road use at the event, gave cause for the contractor to initiate cancellation proceedings late on Thursday 13th October."

I think the above could perhaps be translated like this: 

The race organizers had a meeting with the road construction company just before the race because nobody told them there was going to be roadworks. The construction company was asked to move barriers and equipment at the last minute. Because the chief road engineer had a bad month, getting blocked by a bunch or cyclists on his way to work every 2nd morning, and because some arrogant cyclist swore at his wife and kids at a red traffic light and some idiot cyclist pepper sprayed his sister, he was a little grumpy. So, he said "hell no!" It is impossible to help the race organizers for safetys' sake, and contacted the traffic department, activating the clause in the contract that forced the end of the West Coast Express.

Possible? 

Edited by DJR

Its not a seperate seeding event, pick up the sticker before hand and then just hand it to him... No need for a transfer.

OK cool.

Imagine if the timing matts were accidentally laid out every now and then in a random location either due to terrible miscommunication or a durability test. I'm sure we'd find many cyclists who would just happen to be passing by on those occasions.

Strangely, did you see how full that honesty box was at the timing matt that had "START" branded on it?

"This late notice comes as a complete surprise and the cancellation was only triggered as a result of the race’s organising committee meeting with the contractors to request assistance in making the road as wide and safe as possible. This discussion about safety and the road use at the event, gave cause for the contractor to initiate cancellation proceedings late on Thursday 13th October."

I think the above could perhaps be translated like this:

The race organizers had a meeting with the road construction company just before the race because nobody told them there was going to be roadworks. The construction company was asked to move barriers and equipment at the last minute. Because the chief road engineer had a bad month, getting blocked by a bunch or cyclists on his way to work every 2nd morning, and because some arrogant cyclist swore at his wife and kids at a red traffic light and some idiot cyclist pepper sprayed his sister, he was a little grumpy. So, he said "hell no!" It is impossible to help the race organizers for safetys' sake, and contacted the traffic department, activating the clause in the contract that forced the end of the West Coast Express.

Possible?

Those roadworks have been ongoing for the entire year, with no end in sight. Contractors probably planned poorly as usual and are under pressure to get roads ready by December holidays, so they took the easy way out. Travelling through the area watching them "work" is like watching a comedy show.

If the contractors are anything like those working in the Kalk Bay area this past decade it makes perfect sense, considering their organisational and efficiency skills...

If the contractors are anything like those working in the Kalk Bay area this past decade it makes perfect sense, considering their organisational and efficiency skills...

Ya well .....those ones seem to work on "geological time".