Sunrace Wide Ratio 9-Speed Cassette Questions

Fleming

I see Sunrace has 2 wide ratio 11-40t 9 speed cassettes. Anyone have any experience with these? My understanding is that a typical Shimano or SRAM 9 speed derailleur cant handle such a range so what are these cassettes for?

I am interested in going 1x9 on my old Kona and would love to use one of these but have concerns.

I have scoured the net but cant seem to find much first hand info on these cassettes.

See links below:

http://www.sunrace.c...s/detail/csm980

http://www.sunrace.c...s/detail/csm990

http://www.sunrace.com/files/catalog/thumbs/424.jpg

Hi Fleming

I have a Sunrace 11-42, 10 speed cassette and use it with a SRAM X9 medium cage mech. It works flawlessly, and the quality is very good.

Do not worry it will work with you SRAM/Shimano mech, it may just need a bit of tuning to get it perfect.

I also have the 10 speed version and use a XTR RD.

I just installed the longer limit switch provided with the cassette and it works perfectly.

Speak to Wayne from Rapide if you have any questions - brilliant customer service and he has all the answers with regards to these cassettes.

My concern come from the fact that when most 9 speed derailleurs where developed the largest range cassette was 11-34 or 12-36. These derailleurs were not designed with such a wide range in mind. 

I think 10 speed derailleurs were developed to handle the wide range. I have no doubt that the 10 speed Sunrace cassettes will work fine.

10 speed were not originally designed for "Wide range" the adapter cassettes use longer limit screws.

new 1x drive trains are designed to support it but these are only around short period of time now.

My concern come from the fact that when most 9 speed derailleurs where developed the largest range cassette was 11-34 or 12-36. These derailleurs were not designed with such a wide range in mind. 

I think 10 speed derailleurs were developed to handle the wide range. I have no doubt that the 10 speed Sunrace cassettes will work fine.

I would agree with Amberdrake, most of us using the wide range cassettes are using with 10 speed derailleurs designed for maximum of 36 teeth. The longer limit screw seems to overcome the problems that you may have.

Keep in mind that most of the 9-speed drivetrains were used with a triple chainset, with ranges such as 22-32-42; so those derailleurs can take a stretching. I think they'll be fine to spend time on a 40t at the back, with a 32t or 24t up front.

I have had the 9sp 11-40 on my bike for nearly a month and everything works well. My rear derrailleur is an XT long cage, because my normal setup is 3x9. I am testing the 11-40 as if a 1x9, by only using the 32t middle front ring. Nothing other than the cassette was changed. My chain is working without any length adjustment, and no new screws were used on the derailleur.

I have had the 9sp 11-40 on my bike for nearly a month and everything works well. My rear derrailleur is an XT long cage, because my normal setup is 3x9. I am testing the 11-40 as if a 1x9, by only using the 32t middle front ring. Nothing other than the cassette was changed. My chain is working without any length adjustment, and no new screws were used on the derailleur.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds good.

• 6 months later...

Hi, where can I buy the sunrace 9sp 11-40 cassette in SA? Any online shops you know of maybe?

Hi, where can I buy the sunrace 9sp 11-40 cassette in SA? Any online shops you know of maybe?

Hi there,

I bought mine through "Outdoor escape stellenbosch"     www.outdoorescape.co.za

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming you have the appropriate rear derailleur, is there any reason you couldn't use this cassette with a double crank (39/26), or does it have to be a 1x?

I see no problem why it wouldnt work, as long as your derailleur can handle the range. I get away with a medium cage on my 1x set up so I am sure it would be fine with a long cage.