The i team revisited / new roadie hubbers

Pikey

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about guys plan and target a specific flat race like Fast1 or Dischem R4S..

Have 1 or 2 training rides together. Have a realistic target time considering the core groups' strength. And then see how many would be committed.?

I'm no expert, but each persons ability wrt keeping an avg speed should more or less be on a similar level? Obviously barring external factors..

Edited by BouncingBrain

FWIW, let me declare I'm not riding 947 this year, so I won't be taking an active part before or during. Maybe I'll kick my arse in gear afterwards and would be keen for a play round the cradle? I'll keep my eyes peeled. 

Just one thought - if there was an impromptu Cradle ride planned for this weekend - don't forget half of JHB will be riding round there. You might want a bit more peace & quiet to suss one another out?

Suikerbosrand!

I plan to do a full loop of Suikerbos on Saturday.

Please note that the purpose of this thread is NOT to try it at the Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge next weekend, but for smaller races in 2017.

The suggestion came after Patch noted how 2 or 3 guys do all the work for a group, while others sit in and get a "good" time. If more contributed to the workload, the time could be even quicker. Some then questioned how and for how long they should be working up front without burning all their matches by halfway.

The offer is there from a few guys willing to give up a race (or two) in licensed Vets to come back and help the guys learn about the following (and more):

• position themselves in the group (drafting, overlapping wheels, soft pedaling, recovering, etc.);
  • how long to sit on the front, and at what pace;
  • how to roll through in a paceline (probably a double line initially);
  • how to check for the wind direction and save energy;
  • how to eat and drink, and when to do so;
  • riding style (this could be a sensitive topic) but expending unnecessary energy is a waste;
  • pacing yourself against a set time;
  • having fun at the same time.
    The list is almost endless, and can be added to/modified or removed.

Please get the idea out your head that this will work for the biggest race in Gauteng - it won't (at least not this year). Start small, and work you way up to the bigger races.

The few that have committed to help all race for a team, so I'm sure their team and sponsors expect them to be at the races in their correct category - mine does. It can work during training rides, but there are rules of the road that need to be obeyed, whereas in a race some of those rules are allowed to go out the window and makes for an easier lesson:

• not having to stop at intersections;
  • riding 2-3, maybe 4 abreast (but not across the white line);
  • medical and sweep vehicles should one person need it (on a training ride, everyone would have to stop, and assist where possible).

The idea is here, and all it requires is some commitment from interested parties.

Thats another thing I had in the back of my mind age. The younger hubbers will benifit more than those of us on the wrong right side of 40 . I get frustrated with myself but need to remember it's harder the older you get.

fixed it for you...

I never use my age as an 'excuse', they won't be better than me JUST because they younger, they will by training harder though ;)

Everyone that is willing to put something in will benefit - age has nothing to do with it.

The skills and tips you will pick up will help you in whichever group you find yourself in at future races. Most times, the guys in a small group just ride as hard as they can go, and hardly talk to each other. Now you have the opportunity to start "bossing" the group. If another person is aware of your intentions they will start to help.

I've done a number of races in the last 18 months in BL - and I can tell you that many of the guys just sit in and suck the wheel of the guys in the front. BL is supposed to be the second faster group on the road (non-licensed) - imagine how much better they would be if there was a little more help up front?

Average ages from Sunday's race:

AL - 41.1

BL - 42.8

CL - 44.1

DL - 43.1

Average for the 103Km (non-licence) is 43.2

Edited by geraldm24

Everyone that is willing to put something in will benefit - age has nothing to do with it.

The skills and tips you will pick up will help you in whichever group you find yourself in at future races. Most times, the guys in a small group just ride as hard as they can go, and hardly talk to each other. Now you have the opportunity to start "bossing" the group. If another person is aware of your intentions they will start to help.

I've done a number of races in the last 18 months in BL - and I can tell you that many of the guys just sit in and suck the wheel of the guys in the front. BL is supposed to be the second faster group on the road (non-licensed) - imagine how much better they would be if there was a little more help up front?

Average ages from Sunday's race:

AL - 41.1

BL - 42.8

CL - 44.1

DL - 43.1

Average for the 103Km (non-licence) is 43.2

That age avg is an interesting statistic .

Suikerbosrand!

I plan to do a full loop of Suikerbos on Saturday.

sbr is a great training ground for sure. But my take,on it is if you haven't been doing it for the last 3 months once a week/fortnight all its going to do IF you struggle is demoralize you and make you negative for next wkd. it's a hard place to ride and I do have a love hate relationship with the place but for me what I don't have now in fitness is to late . Edited by Pikey

That age avg is an interesting statistic .

I posted the average age for our club tour to Durban in the Pioneer Tombeej thread -

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebikehub%2Eco%2Eza%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F163656-Pioneer-Tombeej%2Fpage__view__findpost__p__2989063&share_tid=163656&share_fid=21924&share_type=t&share_pid=2989063

It shows that the older generation has what it takes.

We had 25 cyclists and 3 back up drivers.

Age of Cyclists

47 - average age

67 - oldest cyclist

28 - youngest cyclist

Gender split

22 - males

3 - females

Age category

3 - in their 20's

3 - in their 30's

10 - in their 40's

4 - in their 50's

8 - in their 60's

Numbers per group (ave age per group)

10 - Fast (41)

9 - Medium (39)

6 - Slow (49)

Only one 60+ got into the car, due to lack of training over the last few months. The oldest and youngest ride together.

It proves one is never too old to try a 4-day tour.

sbr is a great training ground for sure. But my take,on it is if you haven't been doing it for the last 3 months once a week/fortnight all its going to do IF you struggle is demoralize you and make you negative for next wkd. it's a hard place to ride and I do have a love hate relationship with the place but for me what I don't have now in fitness is to late .

I've done it once before in August when I came up. Too late for any gains, but its a good place to ride and better than being on the roads in Midrand or at the Cradle.

sbr is a great training ground for sure. But my take,on it is if you haven't been doing it for the last 3 months once a week/fortnight all its going to do IF you struggle is demoralize you and make you negative for next wkd. it's a hard place to ride and I do have a love hate relationship with the place but for me what I don't have now in fitness is to late .

A good place to train with people of similar ability but not such a good idea for this thread (yet).

It proves one is never too old to try a 4-day tour.[/i]

That's a blarry good goal to have me thinks . Would never of even contemplated it before. As my weakness is so few rides over 100km that come 80/90 I'm running on empty . Probably because the longest mnt bike races are 75km. And as I ride road alone a lot anything over 80/90 becomes a bit tedious and fight between mind & body. You want to go on but need the company . So you go home for coffee ???????????????????????? Edited by Pikey

That's a blarry good goal to have me thinks . Would never of even contemplated it before. As my weakness is so few rides over 100km that come 80/90 I'm running on empty . Probably because the longest mnt bike races are 75km and as I ride alone a lot anything over 80/90 becomes a bit tedious and fight between mind & body. You want to go on but need the company . So you go home for coffee

Generally speaking though a 75k MTB race is not far off the effort/time of a 100k road race or am I talking poofie?

Generally speaking though a 75k MTB race is not far off the effort/time of a 100k road race or am I talking poofie?

time wise ? Mnt definetly longer,but I have found the effort needed between the 2 is very diffrent. That continuous seated postion is harder ,well for me anyway.

You do both as well,which do you find harder ?

Edit- well at least the ashburton series takes me longer - Maybe not Nissan trailseekers

Mmmmm good point ????

Edited by Pikey

A good place to train with people of similar ability but not such a good idea for this thread (yet).

true that, you could wait for a fair while if there is a vast diffrence in climbing capabilities .