Spez Epic Commuter

Grease_Monkey

My wife is getting a new bike, so... her old epic (2006) model is up for grabs. It is in great condition so I am going to turn it into a commuter.

I have have ordered some 720mm straight bars from Rapide, some Luv Handle grips, flat pedals, a Race Face NW Chainring, and some 2.0" wide slick tyres.

My question is: The bike currently has a 9 speed Shimano XTR derailieur without clutch, and I plan to remove the front shifter in favour of the Race Face NW chainring. Will I be okay to run the 1x9 set up without a clutch mech? I will be riding in the city, but I like going over the ocassional staircase/sidewalk. Will I be losing my chain alot or will it be okay?

My wife's new bike will be arriving early Dec so I will make the changes then and post pics of the tranformation!

My wife is getting a new bike, so... her old epic (2006) model is up for grabs. It is in great condition so I am going to turn it into a commuter.

I have have ordered some 720mm straight bars from Rapide, some Luv Handle grips, flat pedals, a Race Face NW Chainring, and some 2.0" wide slick tyres.

My question is: The bike currently has a 9 speed Shimano XTR derailieur without clutch, and I plan to remove the front shifter in favour of the Race Face NW chainring. Will I be okay to run the 1x9 set up without a clutch mech? I will be riding in the city, but I like going over the ocassional staircase/sidewalk. Will I be losing my chain alot or will it be okay?

My wife's new bike will be arriving early Dec so I will make the changes then and post pics of the tranformation!

Should be fine if you run a NW chain ring.

Just make sure your chain is the right lenght and you shouldn't have problems.

Should be fine if you run a NW chain ring.

Just make sure your chain is the right lenght and you shouldn't have problems.

Awesome!

I currently have a 42t big ring going to a 34t NW ring - how many links would you remove to start with? I was thinking about 4?

Awesome!

I currently have a 42t big ring going to a 34t NW ring - how many links would you remove to start with? I was thinking about 4?

Not sure. It's something I've struggled with in the past, having butchered a brand new chain when converting from 2X9 to 1X11.

Maybe use this as a starting point:

https://youtu.be/Vg2SoOOrpE8

I'm running a XT non clutch on my Scott Scale HT which I train on during the week. NW Raceface 34T up front. It is 10 speed 11-36 cassette. Road and Dirt, Spruit many times, Hola trains in KZN etc. Never had even a single dropped chain. I think chain length is key, I just went round the 36t and cut the chain as short as possible without over stressing the rear mech.

Hope it works out, don't forget to send pics once you've finished the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running a XT non clutch on my Scott Scale HT which I train on during the week. NW Raceface 34T up front. It is 10 speed 11-36 cassette. Road and Dirt, Spruit many times, Hola trains in KZN etc. Never had even a single dropped chain. I think chain length is key, I just went round the 36t and cut the chain as short as possible without over stressing the rear mech.

Hope it works out, don't forget to send pics once you've finished the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, good to hear!

I definitely will do! I've got 90% of the parts and am itching to make the changes, but I can't do anything till my wife's new bike gets here! Gonna be a long 3 weeks haha

And this is the after...

Changes I have made:

- Removed front derailieur

- Race Face NW chainring 34t (should have gone 36t!)

- KCNC Ceramic jockey wheels

- Giant flat pedals (plan to replace thes with some crank bros DH pedals in red)

- KCNC 60mm stem

- Red steerer spacers

- Rapide 720mm control column flat bar (cutting this down to 680mm - currently too wide for this type of bike)

- Luv Handles grips in red

- Schwalbe 26x2.0 touring greenguard tyres with reflective strip

post-82251-0-14818400-1479409095_thumb.jpg

post-82251-0-64811500-1479409188_thumb.jpg

post-82251-0-60481300-1479409212_thumb.jpg

post-82251-0-24627100-1479409239_thumb.jpg

post-82251-0-41659700-1479409281_thumb.jpg

post-82251-0-99280200-1479409299_thumb.jpg

Archived