Zamorano

Hey guys

I wish to purchase a road bike but I am not sure what size to get.

I am 1.71m tall, and was told I would need a 52 but need to be sure to avoid any injuries.

Please advise, any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

A 52 in standard sizing sounds about right. A better method is to measure your inside leg from crotch to floor and multiply by 0.65.

Also bear in mind that not all bikes use standard sizing. A 52 is normally a Small, but in some brands could be a medium or even a large. This is particularly true of Raleigh and Giant.

What is the brand you are looking at? If you are buying from a shop, the shop should measure you and advise accordingly.

Why dont you just pop into your LBS and let them measure you?

Hi Rudy, I had done that. I measured as a 52. But then went into another store and they said that ill be a 54. 

This is what had started the confusion in the first place.

Now I am afraid to make the commitment, as I was told incorrect sizing could lead to serious injury long term

A 52 in standard sizing sounds about right. A better method is to measure your inside leg from crotch to floor and multiply by 0.65.

Also bear in mind that not all bikes use standard sizing. A 52 is normally a Small, but in some brands could be a medium or even a large. This is particularly true of Raleigh and Giant.

What is the brand you are looking at? If you are buying from a shop, the shop should measure you and advise accordingly.

Thanks Eugene, I will take that calc into consideration. Im a compete beginner, and have no clue where to start. 

I do know that I wish to buy a road bike, and have been looking for a secondhand to get into the sport. 

Hi Rudy, I had done that. I measured as a 52. But then went into another store and they said that ill be a 54.

This is what had started the confusion in the first place.

Now I am afraid to make the commitment, as I was told incorrect sizing could lead to serious injury long term

Best would be to decide on the brand you want and get measured for that specific Geometry. You might very well be different sizes on different brands.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, it differs with some brands. What you would need to look at is top tube length.

Giant, Merida and a few others sizes differ. for eg, some consider the Merida M/L a 56cm but it actually has a 57.5cm top tube so ends up being too big.