Awareness for Frailcare & Old Age Homes

CatzSpace "frail"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ofm.co.za/article/human-interest/109277/santa-clause-cycles-through-bloemfontein

Santa Clause cycles through Bloemfontein

David Kleynhans, the Santa Clause cylist, stopped off at the OFM studios in Bloemfontein today as he returns to Cape Town from Limpopo on a marathon cycling trip aimed at raising awareness around the elderly and frailty. Here Kleynhans is pictured with OFM Commissioning Editor, Sandra Coetzee-Mulder. Kleynhans is raising funds for the Ons Tuiste Ouetehuis in Louis Trichardt with a raffle for some awesome sponsored prizes. He departed from Cape Town for Limpopo on May 27 and hopes to arrive back in Cape Town on 12 June.

post-91605-0-97728600-1482597423.jpgpost-91605-0-67440900-1482597494_thumb.jpgpost-91605-0-30667300-1482597556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frail-K

http://m.bizcommunity.com/Noticeboard.aspx?l=196&c=48&i=8764

Hosting four ventures to raise Funds for "Cycling for Old Age Homes". Ons Tuiste, Old Age Home in Louis Trichardt. Please support any of the Ventures and tell a friend.
Planning to cycle to Louis Trichardt end of MAY. 
To make things interesting: 
1. Will be using a 1900 year OLD bike, 6 speed Peugeot.
post-91605-0-64929000-1482598322.jpgpost-91605-0-48932400-1482598355_thumb.jpgpost-91605-0-30040400-1482598386_thumb.jpg
Edited by Frail-K

http://www.zoutnet.co.za/articles/sport/9362/2011-08-05/unique-kremetart-bonus-for-our-home

Unique Kremetart bonus for Our Home

Sport - Date: 05 August 2011

Written by: Frans van der Merwe 

Cyclist David Kleynhans, who had cycled from Cape Town and back to ride the Kremetart on June 4, has donated R5 000 to Our Home in Louis Trichardt.

The donation was the proceeds of the money he raised with his ride. He raised the money mainly from fellow cyclists on the cycling forum “ The Hub” .

His 4000km ride was completed in 17 days and included only one day off the bike. This was the day before the Kremetart, when he set up a table at Makhado Crossing during the cyclists´ Kremetart race registration and solicited donations from the public and registering cyclists.

David averaged 250km a day during his trip from Cape Town, and his shortest day’s travel was the 175km Kremetart cycle race itself. His longest day in the saddle was 370km, when he rode almost night and day between Bloemfontein and Ventersdorp, after he pushed on beyond his planned stop at Potchefstroom.

During his trip, David was accommodated by cycling families along the way and he spent the weekend of the Kremetart with a cycling family of Louis Trichardt .

His donation was made on Monday, after he had finally collected on all the pledges of support made during his trip.

Edited by Frail-K

http://www.fattracks.co.za/news/frail_raising_money_for_old_age_homes

FRAIL raising money for old age homes

10th January 2014

Fat Tracks Members,

I am sure some of you have heard about FRAIL Kleynhans.  He cycles long distances and by doing that he raises money for old age homes in need.  This year FRAIL will be cycling from Cape Town to PE over 3 days, ride the Herald Cycle Tour and then he will be riding back to Cape Town. Here are a few of FRAIL's past achievements:

2004 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour, 3 Tours in one Day.

2004 Cape Town to Louis Trichardt and back over two weeks.

2004 C.T. to Durban, Bloem, JHB and back to C.T.  5 Tours over 5 weeks.

2005 Cape Town to East London and back over ten days.

2005 Cape Town to Knysna and back over four days.

2006 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour, 2 Tours in one day.

2007 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour, 2 Tours in one day.

2009 Johannnesburg to Cape Town in 7 days.

2009 Cape Town to Knysna in 24 Hours.

2009 Western Cape, Golden Games.

2010 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour, 2 Tours in one Day.

Fat Tracks supports him 100%, and if you would like to support this venture we would like you to do the same in the form of buying a raffle ticket.  Below is a summary of his trip:

post-91605-0-13278400-1482599890_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frail-K

http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?main=News&sub=General&id=71108&h=Cyclist-dons-Santa-beard-for-the-elderly

Cyclist dons Santa beard for the elderly

KNYSNA NEWS - A Milnerton waiter, David Kleynhans who regularly saves his earnings to take on cycling tours to benefit various old-age homes, cycled through Knysna on Tuesday, February 4 on his way back to Cape Town from Port Elizabeth. 

"I'm using my bicycle as my messenger," says Kleynhans, "to gather support for those who nurtured me and to give back to those who gave to me." 

Kleynhans, who has a blood disorder and thrombosis in one leg, is cycling in support of FRAIL (Friendship, Relatives, Acceptance, Involvement, Love), an organisation that cares for the aged. His latest expedition has been labelled 'The Great Trek' and as part of his fundraising journey he completed the Herald Cycle Tour in Port Elizabeth. On route he is accommodated by people who read about his vision on the cycling website, The Hub SA. 

Kleynhans cycled to Heidelberg on Wednesday, February 5, followed by the final 280km stretch to Cape Town. For this trip he had to get permission to take ten days off work. 

"I like the restaurant business because you work flexi-time and when I need to take off or get ready for a big race, I'm able to do that." 
He says the cycling from Heidelberg back to Cape Town was the toughest part because there are so many mountains. 

"I wear this Santa-beard as a gesture to elderly person - letting them know that I have empathy with them and that I want to share my love with those who have been forgotten. I have had such a fantastic upbringing and I look at every elderly person as someone who helped a younger person become who they are in life today. This is my way of saying thank you." (He grew up in Cradock and Durbanville.) 

post-91605-0-19301100-1482600488_thumb.jpgpost-91605-0-58389300-1482600563.jpgpost-91605-0-06819500-1482600596_thumb.jpgpost-91605-0-36058900-1482600626_thumb.jpgpost-91605-0-60719300-1482600644.jpg

Ride Report. Cycling CT 2 PE.

Leaving Cape Town there is no one about, it is still cold and dark.
Setting a good pace warmed up the body to stop the chill.
Getting to the hills I found the bike was not perfect, I could not use the Small chain ring.
Stopping outside Grabouw for the first coffee of the day.
Carrying on, on the road to Caledon my front tyre got so badly slashed, forming a buckle in the tyre.
Reaching Caledon after 120km, I had a stop at the Old Age Home in the Dorp.
Once ready to leave I got my tyre replaced and continnued my journey. 
Stopping again for a coffee in Riviersonderend.
Innocently cycling along, stopped to stretch the legs. Wham.
Getting accosted by curious Ladies, (are You OK?) 
Ladies returning from mini Ironman, offering me all their remaining supplements!
Reaching Swellendam there was a light shower of rain.
Pushing on for Heidelberg, getting there around 21h00.
Stayed in the Boarding school.
Reading my mail for the day, SABC requesting an interview. YES

Another great Cold and Dark morning.
Refuelling with coffee in Riversdale, to receive a Donation!
Phone will not stop ringing, stopped again in Albertinia.
Arriving in Mossel Bay i looked for place to have the interview with the SABC.
After much of a delay I left for George.
Getting a welcoming call from Marx Cycle works, enquiring where I would be stopping to have the Chain ring replaced?
On leaving George I tested out the new gearing easily reaching speeds 60 – 70kms,
Looking for the speed camara’s in the pass.

Speed limit is 60, I was doing 65. 
Stopping in Sedgefield for my fifth and final coffee for the day.
Racing through Knysna I stopped at the Café for some Coke and Chocolates.
Reaching the Elephant park around 20h00, where I stayed for the night.

Waking up to the sound of Rain. I chose to wait for the rain to clear, catching up on my mail.
Leaving Plettenberg bay around lunch for the final stretch.
Stopping at the Tsitsikamma National park for a coffee and refuel.
Getting offered Energized Water from a Stranger( Gas) EPO?
Going through the Toll, can I use my CSA card?
Stopped at Montys for the night shift, coffee and pie.
Checking my GPS where is PE???
Arrived late in the night.
I spend the Friday and Saturday at the Herald Expo in Port Elizabeth.

Return
Before leaving I went back to the Laundry mat looking for my Favourite socks.
Whilst cycling, I was constantly kept awake with every passing car Hootting!
Stopped again at Montys to say farewell, for the great coffee.
Coming through Stormsriver I got flagged down to stop, another curious cyclist offerring me all his Tubes and Bombs.
But I accepted his Lunch offer.
The trip must be Down Hill because I was flying.
Getting back to the Elephant Park around 18h00.

Leaving the Elephant Park I stopped in Knysna to give an interview for the Herald.
Coming through Sedgefield I stopped for a coffee and refuel.
Carring on past Mossel Bay where I stopped for a snack on the Highway.
Going through Albertinia I had to stop again for more Coffee.
Taking a rest at Riversdale before I continued on to Heidelberg.

On arriving in Swellendam I made stop at the Old Age Home to hand over a Donation.
Back in Riviersonderend I needed more coffee.
Going through Grabouw the hills were very welcoming with Table Mountain in the distance.
Stopping again in Somerset West for a quick refuel.
Racing through the suburbs all the way back to Cape Town.

Edited by Frail-K

Cycle Cape Town 2 Durban
Day one.
EDIT
Not all the Strava files are still available. Distance and KM's don't correspond. 
post-91605-0-39197800-1482465549.jpg
post-91605-0-60529400-1482465575.jpg

post-91605-0-45755200-1482602771_thumb.jpg

post-91605-0-02118600-1482602656_thumb.jpg

Ride Report Day one.

Headed out towards Paarl.
Meeting up with 2 City riders, on way to Stellies.
Later seeing 4 more guys out for a ride.
Stopping in Paarl for a refuel.
Heading up Du Toitskloof my rear tube goes sssh.
Fixing the flat to find the spares valve is loose, waisted a bomb.
On the road again, climbing slowy.
One Trucker feels its not safe to pass me, I feel sorry, try speed up my tempo. 
Reaching the top I then sit on his tail, cruising all the way down.
Stopped at Du Toitskloof resort for a refuel.
One amazed couple talk to me about my ride, made a Donation. 
On the way down my rear tube goes sssh again.
At last I reached Worcester, refueled and repaired the tube.
Cruising up the Hexriver pass one there trucker greets me, he calls by my name.
Heading for Touwsriver, just rolling hills. 
Stopped again to refuel. 
Heading for Laingsburg, Country Hotel.
More rolling hills. 
Finally rolled in at Lainsburg. 
Not tired, but my body is Broken!
Total time on the road  20 hours.
Edited by Frail-K

Cycle Cape Town 2 Durban
Day seven

No Strava 

http://www.gameplanmedia.co.za/tourdurban/td1411.html

Epic journey to aQuellé Tour Durban to help the elderly

Durban – The aQuellé Tour Durban is a tough enough challenge for road cyclists to complete but for Cape rider David Kleynhans this year’s race will be part of an epic 3300km journey to raise funds and awareness for the plight of the elderly.

42 year old Kleynhans, who is an avid road cyclist, will ride from his home in Welgemoed in Cape Town to Durban, covering the 1600 km trip in seven days, arriving in Durban in time to start the 105km aQuellé Tour Durban road race on Monday 28 April, after which he will set off on his return journey to his home in the Cape.

While he is very fit, the trip is more about raising money and drawing attention to the difficulties facing the elderly through his FRAIL charity.
"This will be my first aQuellé Tour Durban," said Kleynhans, who has worked all over the world in the hospitality industry. 

post-91605-0-87003500-1482605016_thumb.jpg

post-91605-0-63302500-1482605201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frail-K