Shimano ice tech rotors

Vanzyl

Hi there hubbers, just a question someone might be able to answer, whats the difference between the 

SHIMANO XT SM-RT76 ROTOR SHIMANO XT ICE-TECH RT86 DISC ROTORS 6-BOLT????

SHIMANO XT SM-RT76 ROTOR - Normal XT Rotor

ICE-TECH RT86 DISC ROTORS 6-BOLT - Ice-Tech, Meaning: Ice-Tech is a technology that blends the durability of a stopping power of a steel rotor with the heat dissipation properties of aluminum. By sandwiching an Aluminum cooling core between two steel braking surfaces, the rotor dissipates heat faster, while the steel outer portion provides solid stopping power and a durable braking surface.

Credit: Jenson USA

The RT86 runs cooler. It's disc is an aluminium core laminated between two stainless steel braking surfaces. The disc is riveted to an alu carrier.

The RT76 is a solid stainless steel rotor riveted to a similar alu carrier.

Both of these offer better performance than a simple disc cut from a sheet of steel.

My experience of RT86 compared to normal single-piece discs is that they are stiffer and less susceptible to bending. The RT86 stays cooler under braking and therefore fades less ( more friction) and is also less prone to warping caused by overheating.

After a descent you can handle an ice-tec much sooner than a normal disc. They simply don't get as hot and they cool faster. The difference is clearly noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ok thanks.... reason im asking is that i was in Cwc yesterday to ask and they told me the difference was size...RT76-160/180mm and RT86 was 200mm and bigger.  thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

ok thanks.... reason im asking is that i was in Cwc yesterday to ask and they told me the difference was size...RT76-160/180mm and RT86 was 200mm and bigger. thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

ok thanks.... reason im asking is that i was in Cwc yesterday to ask and they told me the difference was size...RT76-160/180mm and RT86 was 200mm and bigger.  thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

At least you have a very good idea of where NOT to ask for technical advice in the future....

what they meant say is that you pay R200 more, not 200mm or more. 

(probably more than 200 anyway)

ok thanks.... reason im asking is that i was in Cwc yesterday to ask and they told me the difference was size...RT76-160/180mm and RT86 was 200mm and bigger. thanks for the feedback [emoji106]

both types are available in 3 standard sizes... 160mm, 180mm, 203mm

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have both of these. RT86 on my Camber and RT76 on my Scale. Above differences as #JXV are spot for on. I'm running 160mm at the back and 180mm up front. I cannot recommend either enough. They are brilliant. I find most rotors that rivet to a carrier stay true forever unless abused. Stopping power on both my bikes are lethal. My suggestion is the RT76 on a HT for XC/Trail and the RT86 on a DS Trail setup. I'm a big boy too at 96kg.

I live by the BDF cycling pledge. One day. Every day. #9Rules

Archived