Tubular vs Clincher - What is your preference and why?

Warren Foyn

I ride on a set of Lightweight Millenstein Tubs (25mm Tufo's) some would say 'the best wheels in the world'.

They are wonderful to ride, extremely responsive, roll like a dream,and generally ridiculously fast. That being said i feel

The downside to owning tubs for me:

1) carrying a spare tyre/gas/2 sided tape and the CO2 + a good half hour change time + having a all that stuff on you,whilst you roll around on a bike you have spent Thousands on trying to weigh as little as possible.

2)once its flat or semi damaged, unless you a maestro at sewing rubber tyres, you cry... and put new!

3) uber doesnt operate deep in the swiss alps, i know this....my boss on the same wheels flatted,it became a long day out waiting for help to arrive!

Unless you have a support car,or riding within a hour of home, or enjoy carrying a back pack of spares to fix a flat, i cant justify owning tubs.

*and yes, try selling 2nd hand tubbies, especially lightweights....it aint easy!

Some valid points Skadonk, but a few exaggerations too I fear  ;)  In reality, everyone carries a CO2 cannister and adapter for tyres anyway. You definitely don't need to carry gluing tape either, so just a spare tubby if you choose. And as for taking " a good half hour change time", dude we need to meet for a lesson  :lol:  I'll probably change a tubby faster than most people will change a tube. Or I may take a few seconds longer. But we're talking 2 minutes at the absolute most.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you would like some more data, I'd be happy to ride a set of your tubbies with that fancy sealant for a year.  :whistling:

Absolutely. Bring me your wheels and tyres and I'll even install the free sealant for you ;-)

Sounds like there is an excess of tubular wheels stock....

You should be so lucky, because if there were you could steel them...  ;)

As a few of you know on this thread am in the market for some new wheels. But am pretty indecisive at the moment . Not only tubbies vs clinchers but aero 40/50 versus 28mm was leaning strongly towards clinchers . For all of the reasons mentioned above .

But after reading warrens post about tubbies must say am curious.

Does weight make any diffrence to the amount of punctures . Clincher or tubbies? I ask coz i think on mountain bikes it does. Gashing sidewalls and pinch flats etc. Being a lightweight does have some advantages

Hopefully will pull the trigger soon ,when I have decided which route to go.

I read this recently and it stalled my thought & decision process

https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/07/10/best-aero-all-around-road-bike-wheels/

So what is the difference between your statement and:

"XYZ 40mm tubby's + Elite S3 tubular tyres with sealant, why complicate it? And why stop to fix the occasional puncture either?"

the difference is ive already spent my money on a solution that works for me

and you asked opinions

and I gave mine

and im sorry it doesn't support yours

but maybe I don't want to buy into your opinion

that's life mate :blink:

As a few of you know on this thread am in the market for some new wheels. But am pretty indecisive at the moment . Not only tubbies vs clinchers but aero 40/50 versus 28mm was leaning strongly towards clinchers . For all of the reasons mentioned above .

But after reading warrens post about tubbies must say am curious.

Does weight make any diffrence to the amount of punctures . Clincher or tubbies? I ask coz i think on mountain bikes it does. Gashing sidewalls and pinch flats etc. Being a lightweight does have some advantages

Hopefully will pull the trigger soon ,when I have decided which route to go.

I read this recently and it stalled my thought & decision process

https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/07/10/best-aero-all-around-road-bike-wheels/

If it was Me throwing my own money into the wheel purchase pool.... carbon clinchers on disc hubs.elimanates so many of the issues,without a massive added weight. (Arguable im sure).. but if you a 90 kilo banana boy like me, does my 1kg set of lightweight tubbies make it better???

Check this out ...

Have never even ridden tubulars, so not really in a position to compare myself. But I think I'll stick to my clinchers.

Absolutely. Bring me your wheels and tyres and I'll even install the free sealant for you ;-)

There is times where I miss my tubbies and wonder if my clincher are faster or at least just as fast. Never had a change to ride both at the same time and compare.

There is also the sound that the tubbies make when you are putting the power down.

You are missing a trock here... sealant can be installed in clincher tubes too.... try it - you might revert back to clinchers...

You are missing a trock here... sealant can be installed in clincher tubes too.... try it - you might revert back to clinchers...

Works like a charm yes.

Awesome! Will you supply wheels and tires too? :D

Hi,

Are there any major advantages(besides the weight) when it comes to riding with carbon brake blocks on carbon rims, as opposed to the standard brake blocks?

And, when it comes to riding in the rain, are there any significant differences that I'd need to be aware of?

I look forward to your response.

Hi,

Are there any major advantages(besides the weight) when it comes to riding with carbon brake blocks on carbon rims, as opposed to the standard brake blocks?

And, when it comes to riding in the rain, are there any significant differences that I'd need to be aware of?

I look forward to your response.

The main difference is that when it rains and you riding wheels with a carbon braking surface is that you actually don't have brakes at all. This is only a problem if you intend to slow down, which is the opposite of what most cyclists are trying to do. So there is actually no problem.

And I will ride a set of your 28mm Carbon Clinchers as an extra data point to support the Clincher crowd. Wouldn't want to biased you know ;) (Have had my eye on a pair for a while now)

Got a couple of demo / 1yr old sets with new TBT Ceramic bearings going for a steel you know... #justsaying  :clap:

Archived