Shimano XT M8000 1x11 Chainring

splat

Can anyone tell me what sort of mileage I can expect from my chainring?
And how I can tell if its worn?

It has about 4200km. I haven't ridden much in the rain or mud. It gets a hose down after most rides. The chain is lubed before every ride. I changed the 1st chain at about 1850km, and am pretty sure the 2nd chain is up for renewal too (and probably the casette too)

And while on the topic: does anyone know who stocks the newer CRM81 rings.

they were launched last year: http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/news-and-info/news/11-speed-mtb-drivetrain-additions.html

But seem to be like rocking horse poop...
Shimano-FC-M8000-1-XT-11-speed-Chainring

They are different from the standard or original CRM80 rings

Shimano-XT-Kettenblatt-FC-M8000-1-11-fac

No pearls of wisdom from anyone?

Ok, so CoolHeat only have 30 and 34T CRM81 rings, but won't order more 32T until they have sold all the older CRM80 rings (and they still have about 300 of those...)

No pearls of wisdom from anyone?

Ok, so CoolHeat only have 30 and 34T CRM81 rings, but won't order more 32T until they have sold all the older CRM80 rings (and they still have about 300 of those...)

Typical of them.

You will get more milage if you buy 2 (or 3) chains and regularly alternate them than if you sequentially replace chains as they wear out. Admin and more upfont cost but if you're the organised type maybe not a big thing to deal with.

Fitting a new chain after a worn one accelerates tooth wear until they both settle in to each other.

If you already got 4200km from a ring then buying same again should be OK? Not terrible milage. As long as the rings shift ok and are not slipping, keep using them.

Those CRM81 rings are proper NW rings whereas the older CRM80 claimed all sorts of special tooth shaping for chain retention without NW teeth. Makes you realise that 90% or more of the usual hype is just marketing BS

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You will get more milage if you buy 2 (or 3) chains and regularly alternate them than if you sequentially replace chains as they wear out. Admin and more upfont cost but if you're the organised type maybe not a big thing to deal with.

Fitting a new chain after a worn one accelerates tooth wear until they both settle in to each other.

If you already got 4200km from a ring then buying same again should be OK? Not terrible milage. As long as the rings shift ok and are not slipping, keep using them.

Those CRM81 rings are proper NW rings whereas the older CRM80 claimed all sorts of special tooth shaping for chain retention without NW teeth. Makes you realise that 90% or more of the usual hype is just marketing BS

So in your opinion the CRM81 is the one to go for then...?

So in your opinion the CRM81 is the one to go for then...?

Why else would they change them so soon after releasing M8000 series?

Why else would they change them so soon after releasing M8000 series?

Okay  :blush:  :D

Try a CSixx TT ring. Local is lekker, and there's stock for days. I have a 32T M8000 ring on the shelf if you want to give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a 32T CRM81 ring from Jenson's while my sister is in US&A this week.

Cost me R731.00

(Compared to R1250 locally. If it were available...)

Archived