Raised stem

Mongoose001

So i got my bike about two weeks ago. Was in a rush so never really got a feel for it when i rode it. Anyway, i get the feeling im gonna fall over the front of the bike. Kinda like leaning to far forward. Seat is at the correct height, at least i find it comfortable at that height, but im leaning far forward. Frame size is medium, i think what i have on the bike is a 10 deg stem. Its the original silverback stem.

Would a raised or slightly higher angled stem aid with my leaning forward?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eish that was quick. Was still editing out the mistakes lol.

Mtb, medium frame is all it says on the tube, my height is l.69m.

maybe a shorter stem?

you will get a number of comments on having a proper bike fit done.. but if you want to try the ghetto version then

1. your handle bars should be 2 to 4 cm below the level of your saddle (or up to 6cm maybe.. depends on your flexibility).

2. if you put your bicep on the point of your saddle and make a right angle with your elbow your fingers should reach about halfway down your stem.

that will give you an idea of what you need to change

Eish that was quick. Was still editing out the mistakes lol.

Mtb, medium frame is all it says on the tube, my height is l.69m.

Okay, cool. Shorten your stem. It'll go a long way to alleviating that feeling, which is a classic example of being too far over the front of the bike. Short stems allow you to far better position yourself, and bring your weight a bit further back so that you have a better position both seated and standing when it comes to weight over the front. 

Shorter stem does make sense, kind force me back a bit. Handle bars roughly 3cm lower than the saddle.

Don't worry about that. Purely a number that will change according to your own physiology & flexibility, as well as how you want your bike to perform in certain areas. 

So for now its shorter stem. Will give it a try and see how it feels.

What bike is it, and how wide are your bars? Bear in mind that when you go shorter, you will also sharpen up the steering. So if you want to return to a bit more control, you can get wider bars. 

I'm a firm believer in the wide bar / short stem movement. And pretty much everyone else, once they try it... 

But yes - a shorter stem will definitely go a way to fixing it. Look for a 50 to 60mm stem. Olympic Cycles should have stock of a KCNC Bear Arm or similar in that range, and theyre pretty cheap as far as stems go. 

Silverback Dakota. Im pretty sure my stem is quite a bit longer than 50-60cm. More like 90mm.

Wide bar will let me lean even more forward. Arms wider apart.....

Silverback Dakota. Im pretty sure my stem is quite a bit longer than 50-60cm. More like 90mm.

Wide bar will let me lean even more forward. Arms wider apart.....

Yes, but paired with a short stem your weight will still be further behind the front wheel. Not critical, but something to consider maybe in the future. Especially if you have the stock SB Dakota bar on there, which, if I remember correctly, is pretty narrow. 

And yeah, 90mm on a medium at 1.69 isn't that great. 50/60mm should be perfect. 

Archived