Move the Cycle Tour date back to October?

WIPEOUT 1000

With all the extra time I have available today, I was thinking should they not consider moving the Cycle Tour back to the original date in October?

It would seem that we have better weather that time of the year anyway and it would be a really nice incentive to train in the winter months.  

http://www.cape-town.climatemps.com/cape-town-climograph.gif

Agreed. We are in the tourism industry. May to September is really tough months. During October it starts picking up but no fireworks. Such a race during October would be great to boost the start to season.

With all the extra time I have available today, I was thinking should they not consider moving the Cycle Tour back to the original date in October?

It would seem that we have better weather that time of the year anyway and it would be a really nice incentive to train in the winter months.

http://www.cape-town.climatemps.com/cape-town-climograph.gif

You want to move the tour from a month with relatively high wind (average beaufort scale 3) to a month with even more (scale 4)?!

You kind of snookered yourself there [emoji12]

October has a historic precedent, but personally I was actually thinking late September, lower temperatures, less risk of fire.

Wow. So many 'experts'. Moving the CTCT will inevitably lead to the other big races having to reschedule too (94.7 and Amashova). Weather in the WC will always throw a curve ball, no matter the month. We've had torrential rains in November washing away roads on the DC route and very wet (and very hot) Easters. Yesterday was picture perfect. Today was a blow out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow. So many 'experts'. Moving the CTCT will inevitably lead to the other big races having to reschedule too (94.7 and Amashova). Weather in the WC will always throw a curve ball, no matter the month. We've had torrential rains in November washing away roads on the DC route and very wet (and very hot) Easters. Yesterday was picture perfect. Today was a blow out.

I recall worse winds (plus rain & cold) in the w2w day3 2 years ago than we had today. There are no guarantees with weather. 1/40 tours cancelled because of wind is not unreasonable for a windy city like CT

I recall worse winds (plus rain & cold) in the w2w day3 2 years ago than we had today. There are no guarantees with weather. 1/40 tours cancelled because of wind is not unreasonable for a windy city like CT

This is South Africa Bru - if it happens to you it is unreasonable and someone must be blamed. Added to the fact that the organisers are obviously lying because they said that the wind was dangerous. That was fake news. The real reason was a few okes protesting and the absolute inexperience of the management team. Next time they should just let a few Hubbers organise the event and it won't be cancelled, even at double the wind speed.

Seriously though, feel really sorry for the guys who have travelled a long way at a lot of cost, but it probably was for the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All they need to do is move the start to an open area and avoid tunneling the wind in the city centre...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather and political type protests can interfere at any time so not convinced about a change of date.

The start area is however another story.

It took forever to get the expo venue changed, but eventually they did.

So let's keep asking/insisting. :)

This is South Africa Bru - if it happens to you it is unreasonable and someone must be blamed. Added to the fact that the organisers are obviously lying because they said that the wind was dangerous. That was fake news. The real reason was a few okes protesting and the absolute inexperience of the management team. Next time they should just let a few Hubbers organise the event and it won't be cancelled, even at double the wind speed.

Seriously though, feel really sorry for the guys who have travelled a long way at a lot of cost, but it probably was for the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't take much to organize a route on strava that tracks times at your convenience. No ppa fees, no plastic medals, just the love of the sport on the best routes SA has to offer.

A ppa newsletter recently spoke of the dieing interest in road cycling, which to me doesn't make sense if you see how busy the roads are over the weekend. I personally think there is already a move away from organized events which no longer is the only way to compete against fellow cyclists in a timed manor on popular routes.

To make an event feel official requires a very small tweak to strava or possibly a new type of app which: 1. Sends a call to action to a group of riders (the event notification) 2. Sends the route map (the app will serve as the route direction marker) 3. Sets a valid window of start and end time for the route to be completed (riders will be given windows based on seeding, also a way of ensuring numbers on the route are controlled) 4. Results announcement with winner or podium announced on the app. *monetization is by sponsors and paid advertising, no entry fees to cyclists

We are talking a total disruption to organized competitive sports far more suited to today's Uber/airbnb generation

Doesn't take much to organize a route on strava that tracks times at your convenience. No ppa fees, no plastic medals, just the love of the sport on the best routes SA has to offer.

A ppa newsletter recently spoke of the dieing interest in road cycling, which to me doesn't make sense if you see how busy the roads are over the weekend. I personally think there is already a move away from organized events which no longer is the only way to compete against fellow cyclists in a timed manor on popular routes.

There is something you mention above that is happening in CT soonish.. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purely from a wind perspective would riding the CTCT the other way round make sense? Possibly starting and ending at the stadium?

They're said it's on the table for future scenarios

Although the 1/40 failed start stats will not promote date or season change

Purely from a wind perspective would riding the CTCT the other way round make sense? Possibly starting and ending at the stadium?

No, because then you have to close a national Highway all day opposed to only for a few hours.

Archived