Dedicated indoor trainer bike

thisismyotherbike

Avoid all those problems apart from the sweat, with rollers - IMHO a far better way to train indoors.

Also love my roller but a smart trainer with a screen and controlled resistance (with Zwift) is so much less boring.

Regarding gear ratios, if you use your trainer in erg mode, you can pretty much train in 1 gear the entire time if you like, so I wouldn't worry too much about gearing.

Rollers add a lot of noise... I live in a small place and the trainer sits on top of my neighbour's bedroom. In addition I love having power, Zwift, ANT-FEC and ERG workouts. The direct trainer certainly has additional costs, but I'm happy to live with that

I actually know somebody who cracked his carbon frame on an IDT.

Maybe he was just unlucky.

The sweat is a major factor, I've seen pictures of some serious rusty bikes from being left on the IDT for ages. These bikes seem to get neglected as they never really get dirty.

Like majority have said, any groupset set will do.

I don't think that the cassette ratio is too important, the tension can be adjusted on the IDT as well (don't know if the Wahoo is like this but think it is).

So get a cheap aluminium bike with a 8 or 9 or 10 spd groupset, switch the seat to suite your ass and you good to go.

I do around 5,000 km per year on my dedicated Carbon Bianchi on a CYCLEOPS power sync. Not a problem with the frame.

The advantage lies in having a dedicated bike so you can just hop on and get riding.

OK so I've found and went to look at a great older aluminium frame bike with all Ultegra 6600. All-round great condition. I realise 6600 is hard to service as they don't make them any longer but I figure I'll replace components with 6700 as they give in (Shimano 10 speed components are interchangeable, right?).

My latest question... I ride 172.5mm crank arms and this bike has 170mm. Is it a major issue that I'll be training on 170 through the week and riding on 172.5 over weekends and at races? Less ideal? Or negligible effect?

Thanks again to the Hub's collective wisdom!

OK so I've found and went to look at a great older aluminium frame bike with all Ultegra 6600. All-round great condition. I realise 6600 is hard to service as they don't make them any longer but I figure I'll replace components with 6700 as they give in (Shimano 10 speed components are interchangeable, right?).

My latest question... I ride 172.5mm crank arms and this bike has 170mm. Is it a major issue that I'll be training on 170 through the week and riding on 172.5 over weekends and at races? Less ideal? Or negligible effect?

Thanks again to the Hub's collective wisdom!

I would change the crank, if you are training to cadence will feel and be different to what you normally ride. Also bike set up will be different with the shorter crank

Archived