Recommend a wheelset or rim - on a seriously low budget

Mr lee

If you keep breaking spokes it means your wheels weren't stress relieved when they were built, and possibly also have straight gauge spokes.

Take them to Dave Marshall and get them rebuilt with decent double butted spokes. Problem solved for (I'm guessing here, sorry Dave) about R 2k.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for the further feedback and advice ;)

I have been weighing up my options for the last few weeks and it seems my best option is to go with a Rapide TR29 wheelset at +/-R4400. Only problem is I need to purchase 6-bolt rotors for which I will try and get the RT86 ice-techs as I would eventually like to upgrade to the M8000 groupset and brakes (put on hold now due to wheel issue  :wacko: )

If I go with just a spoke and wheel rebuild and it does not work for me then I will need to spend the money anyway by going all out...

So to continue are there any other heavy D's out there (110kg's+) that have been using this wheelset and for how long without any issues?

;)

Fellow heavy weight here.

I've researched this topic quite a bit. Cheapest and strongest proper wheelset that you will find is Stan Flows on Hope hubs. Wait for a CWC sale ..then you can get them forR5/R6k. Wheel builders will ask you around R10k.

Otherwise secondhand Mavic Crossmax - super strong. You might find a set cheaper than R5k if lucky.

Really cheap option is to get an old set of Giant Pcx or something... heavy but bullet proof. Have seen them in the classifieds for around R1500

I own all of the above wheels after ruining every stock wheel I have ever riden on.

Not being a box or anything, consider starting a different diet.

Long-term it'll have not only wheel saving benefits

Seriously dude!!??

Reminds me of Will Ferral telling that guy: "no offence but you're a f-ing a-hole"????

I have a brand new still in jox set of shimano mt35 pm me 1750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the offer but I believe those wheels have a lower spoke count and thus won't be as strong when compared to those with 32 spokes...

Another option is to just change the back wheel (assuming you are not breaking front wheel spokes?)

I have the following combination, cost around R7000.00 to custom build.

32H Spank Oozy hoops

DT Swiss spokes

Hope Pro4 Hubs straight pull.

Magic Mary Tyres

I'm just shy of 110kgs with gear and ride mostly downhill trails so I punish them.

Been on this wheelset for almost a year now with no issues. (Possibly 40 odd good downhill trail runs in a mix of terrain)

Before building a custom wheelset I used Mavic Crossrides and I've also not had any issues with them.

Seriously dude!!??

Reminds me of Will Ferral telling that guy: "no offence but you're a f-ing a-hole"

What's the issue, funny-ears? 

Only afterwards did the guy reveal he is over 2m tall. For all I knew he was an overweight 5ft hobbit and all he really needed was to trim his waist by 16".

Me me me! Okay I weigh 98kgs but close enough.

I've put about 3500km (6months of riding) on my Rapide TR29 wheelset, but they are on my gravel bike 95% of the time with 32mm tyres at 4-5bar, and the rest with 42mm tyres at 2bar.

I ride hard, I typically don't avoid imperfections in the road apart from large potholes and I enjoy pavement hopping and gravel grinding. My wheels show not a hint of out-of-trueness and are rolling buttery smooth.

I love how easy the hubs are to strip and service! If needed anyways, I just enjoy fiddling.

Planning to get another set from Wayne for my new MTB... :D

I have been weighing up my options for the last few weeks and it seems my best option is to go with a Rapide TR29 wheelset at +/-R4400. Only problem is I need to purchase 6-bolt rotors for which I will try and get the RT86 ice-techs as I would eventually like to upgrade to the M8000 groupset and brakes (put on hold now due to wheel issue  :wacko: )

If I go with just a spoke and wheel rebuild and it does not work for me then I will need to spend the money anyway by going all out...

So to continue are there any other heavy D's out there (110kg's+) that have been using this wheelset and for how long without any issues?

;)

;)

Honestly, your problem will most likely be fixed by getting your existing wheel rebuilt, properly. Seriously. Badly built rims break spokes - no question about it. And if you rebuild them and keep them for a while, you'll later be able to sell them on for more than you can now. 

If you don't feel like doing that, I'd recommend going the Rapide route. Wayne (kiwi) takes pride in what he does and will build a great wheel that should last you a long time if looked after. Yes, a Flow / Hope mix will be "better" but at a much higher cost. As will most other custom built options. 

Rapide's option is the cheapest strong wheelset you'll find unless you go 2nd hand. And then you're potentially in the same boat anyway, unless it's one of the hand-built wheel options listed previously. 

Honestly, your problem will most likely be fixed by getting your existing wheel rebuilt, properly. Seriously. Badly built rims break spokes - no question about it. And if you rebuild them and keep them for a while, you'll later be able to sell them on for more than you can now. 

If you don't feel like doing that, I'd recommend going the Rapide route. Wayne (kiwi) takes pride in what he does and will build a great wheel that should last you a long time if looked after. Yes, a Flow / Hope mix will be "better" but at a much higher cost. As will most other custom built options. 

Rapide's option is the cheapest strong wheelset you'll find unless you go 2nd hand. And then you're potentially in the same boat anyway, unless it's one of the hand-built wheel options listed previously. 

This x100%

Wise words indeed Myles.  No need to go any further with this thread.  Well put.

Replace the rim or both with stronger, wider ones and double butted spokes.

R15 per spoke.

R1000-1400 per rim

R400 per wheel to rebuild.

So for about R2000 you can build a strong, wide tubeless rim onto your existing hub with proper spokes.

PM me if you'd like to discuss options.

Replace the rim or both with stronger, wider ones and double butted spokes.

R15 per spoke.

R1000-1400 per rim

R400 per wheel to rebuild.

So for about R2000 you can build a strong, wide tubeless rim onto your existing hub with proper spokes.

PM me if you'd like to discuss options.

Thank you for your opinion but wouldn't I be better off going for the Rapide wheelset @+/-R4400 as I don't have the greatest hubs to start with (entry run of the mill spec)...

Archived