Cyclist Down in Tokai

Meezo

If the truck is doing 60 km/h and overtakes the cyclist with a 1m gap, is it really possible to upset the cyclist such that he ends up under the truck wheels? My gut feel is that it is not, but if it is true then the "1m rule" needs to be changed to a "1.5m" rule.

That is what the campaign demanded if memory serves:

“Cyclists stay alive at 1.5m”

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the truck is doing 60 km/h and overtakes the cyclist with a 1m gap, is it really possible to upset the cyclist such that he ends up under the truck wheels? My gut feel is that it is not, but if it is true then the "1m rule" needs to be changed to a "1.5m" rule.

120 km/h maybe a different story. But then the truck should be leaving a bigger gap. I wonder if anybody has done any tests on this?

But that is why this case needs to be ventilated in court. With all of the available evidence, witnesses, cell phone data, tracking data and dash cams.

My gut feeling is that the truck was too close. Regardless of the speed it was driving.

But I wasn't on the scene and I'm no accident expert.

Archived