Cyclist Down in Tokai

Meezo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP rider, a PNP truck hit him. Wonder if PNP will care to comment about their trucks killing cyclists while they sponsor the worlds largest timed cycle event.

WAS NOT A PNP TRUCK.

Liebentrans.

Edited by (Deon)

He killed a cyclist, the law states have to pass with a 1m gap and when safe to do so. Neither of those things happened here. Reckless/careless/murderer.

So if the cyclist had turned in front of the truck without warning the truck would still be at fault? I know (now) that is not what happened but when I asked the question we didn't know the facts. Or at least I didn't.

So if the cyclist had turned in front of the truck without warning the truck would still be at fault? I know (now) that is not what happened but when I asked the question we didn't know the facts. Or at least I didn't.

Exactly.

Social media has already found the driver guilty even before it's been maintained if there was oncoming traffic that unexpectedly caused the truck driver to swerve back into his lane. Keep in mind that the spot where it happened had workmen on both sides of the road offloading and carting materials across the road with several heavy machines also active within 50m of the scene. 

I'd say there is plenty to still consider before pouncing on the first scenario. 

I hope the driver gets nailed for that, but he can just say "I had to avoid crashing into another car" or "I did not see the cyclist" or "the cyclist swerved in front of the truck". Maybe we should follow up on this thread to keep us informed about what punishment the driver will receive.

Doesn't sound like you were an eyewitness but I could be wrong from the conclusion you've already drawn.

Exactly.

Social media has already found the driver guilty even before it's been maintained if there was oncoming traffic that unexpectedly caused the truck driver to swerve back into his lane. Keep in mind that the spot where it happened had workmen on both sides of the road offloading and carting materials across the road with several heavy machines also active within 50m of the scene. 

I'd say there is plenty to still consider before pouncing on the first scenario. 

Even from this description, the truck driver is in the wrong. If he could not safely pass with the required 1m gap, he should have waited until it was safe to do so. Not saying it's the truck driver's fault, but it's a futile exercise to speculate as to what happened. 

Tragic loss of life, nevertheless. 

I would like to see the PPA and others pressurizing the State to make sure perps are brought to book and convicted. Yip - we've all been saying this for a while - apparently their hands are tied as it's essentially a state case ( I stand under correction) - or so I have read on the Hub. I believe they can only deal with it from civil case point of view? 

+1

This looks like a good one for PPA to pursue:

- This is in the Western Cape and the truck driver clearly broke the "1m" rule. If nothing else he is guilty of that.

- There was at least one traceable witness (the other injured rider).

- The driver is traceable. P&P will know how to find the man driving the truck with their branding.

It also seems that the victim was a commuter and likely not a member of the PPA. It may be PC to support someone who cannot afford a car as apposed to a lycra clad sports cyclist on a carbon bike that costs more than a 2nd hand car (and maybe guilty of not stopping at the odd robot).

RIP cyclist.

Exactly.

I'd say there is plenty to still consider before pouncing on the first scenario. .

The guilty verdict imposed by social media is based on the facts as known. There were eye-witnesses and nobody has come forward to support your or MTBeer's alternative version, or have they?  I read all comments as "if this is what happened then the driver is guilty" and in any event who cares what people think. It won;t make the driver guilty if he is not. Everything indicates the rider was minding his own business when the truck passed and killed him. If there are indeed eyewitness accounts which support your supposition, please send them on...

*I see the PPA is following this one up. No doubt the actual real conclusive facts will eventually come out...

The guilty verdict imposed by social media is based on the facts as known. There were eye-witnesses and nobody has come forward to support your or MTBeer's alternative version, or have they?  I read all comments as "if this is what happened then the driver is guilty" and in any event who cares what people think. It won;t make the driver guilty if he is not. Everything indicates the rider was minding his own business when the truck passed and killed him. If there are indeed eyewitness accounts which support your supposition, please send them on...

*I see the PPA is following this one up. No doubt the actual real conclusive facts will eventually come out...

What does this matter? Even if guilty it will be like a R5000 fine, and more importantly, even if guilty the roads will continue to become more dangerous every day, and every cyclist that shares the road with cars and trucks should know by now that at any moment there is a very real chance that they could be run over and killed.