Cyclist Down in Tokai

Meezo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of us were on the road at the time this happened? I for one turned left down Doordrift at the Constantia Village shopping center at about 6:40. Close by.

Thoughts with his loved ones.

PPA has a ride in Greenpoint on 5 May to hand over Memoranda and letters to authorities. I will be riding a MTB event on that day but would attend if I were in town.

RIP, rider

I've been waiting for this on spanschemaat road near the church, where the roadworks currently leave very little open for the regular commuters.

I have changed my commute route to completely stay away from the road works in our area.

The traffic bottle necks and becomes eratic long before the road actually narrows, and then there simply is not enough space left to cycle safely.

My new route includes 500m of high traffic - I stay on the wide pavement, and cross the robot only when absolutely safe.

Condolences to the family

Drove past the scene now on the way into work.

Along Steenberg road, opposite Polsmoor prison entrance with a truck parked a few meters away from the scene. It looked like a regular commuter on his/her way to work. Unfortunately the victim was not that lucky and lost his/her life. Very sad moment and condolences for his/her family.

By the sound of things it was two commuters. The truck tried to overtake but was too close and pulled the first rider under the wheels, it sounds like the second rider then hit the first victims bike and rather fortunately bounced away to the side of the road rather than under the truck.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Pick n Pay truck apparently. The road works along this section have narrowed the road  by several cm (they are making it better for cyclists and pedestrians with paved walkways along the sidewalk) but in the meantime it has made the road less safe and now resulted in a death. Not that careful driving by the careless truck driver would not have avoided the accident - there is still space and a bit of patience is all that is required. Very sad. 

Pick n Pay truck apparently. The road works along this section have narrowed the road  by several cm (they are making it better for cyclists and pedestrians with paved walkways along the sidewalk) but in the meantime it has made the road less safe and now resulted in a death. Not that careful driving by the careless truck driver would not have avoided the accident - there is still space and a bit of patience is all that is required. Very sad. 

Not that careful driving by the careless truck driver would not have avoided the accident - there is still space and a bit of patience is all that is required - that is the crux of the matter!

Pick n Pay branded truck may be a better description as it is an outsourced company that supplied both the truck and driver.

Not that it changes the end result.

IT really really is that. 

Not that careful driving by the careless truck driver would not have avoided the accident - there is still space and a bit of patience is all that is required - that is the crux of the matter!

IT really really is that. 

But the reality is that the roads are full of careless and impatient drivers and this will not change. Being 'impatient' by itself is not breaking the law, and this truck driver will get off lightly, nothing will probably happen to him. This seems to be an accident and the truck driver did not do anything wrong according to the law.

But the reality is that the roads are full of careless and impatient drivers and this will not change. Being 'impatient' by itself is not breaking the law, and this truck driver will get off lightly, nothing will probably happen to him. This seems to be an accident and the truck driver did not do anything wrong according to the law.

being impatient drives the wrong behaviour - excuse the pun. Not having seen anything of the accident, but knowing the road - I would assume that he tried to squeeze past. The 1m law comes into play as far as I see it. Failing that - what's the point of it.

being impatient drives the wrong behaviour - excuse the pun. Not having seen anything of the accident, but knowing the road - I would assume that he tried to squeeze past. The 1m law comes into play as far as I see it. Failing that - what's the point of it.

I hope the driver gets nailed for that, but he can just say "I had to avoid crashing into another car" or "I did not see the cyclist" or "the cyclist swerved in front of the truck". Maybe we should follow up on this thread to keep us informed about what punishment the driver will receive.

The law disagrees with you. The fact that the cyclist was hit (who ever heard of someone being sucked under a truck?) and then crushed by the same truck, implies that there was fault on the part of the driver. He is probably guilty of culpable homicide just like Burry's killer. Whether the case will receive adequate attention is another matter. I would like to see the PPA and others pressurizing the State to make sure perps are brought to book and convicted. Convictions and sentences (which should carry jail time) should be publicized widely.  

The law disagrees with you. The fact that the cyclist was hit (who ever heard of someone being sucked under a truck?) and then crushed by the same truck, implies that there was fault on the part of the driver. He is probably guilty of culpable homicide just like Burry's killer. Whether the case will receive adequate attention is another matter. I would like to see the PPA and others pressurizing the State to make sure perps are brought to book and convicted. Convictions and sentences (which should carry jail time) should be publicized widely.  

I would like to see the PPA and others pressurizing the State to make sure perps are brought to book and convicted. Yip - we've all been saying this for a while - apparently their hands are tied as it's essentially a state case ( I stand under correction) - or so I have read on the Hub. I believe they can only deal with it from civil case point of view? 

The law is very lenient for drivers who kill people on the roads if there are any element of "accident" in the incident, and there is always an element of "accident". What punishment did Burry`s killer get? And more importantly, do these convictions if they do happen make the roads any safer?

Edited by Qwerty123