Questions for Race Organizers - Race Numbers

Patchelicious

Race Organiser Questions  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy collecting race numbers.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you prefer an option where you did not have to collect your race numbers? Eg: Permanent numbers or self print.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you enter more races if you did not need to collect race numbers?

• Yes
    • No

Exactly.

As with most things in life, solutions are not the problem. It's the motivation to make the change is the biggest hurdle.

I get your sentiment but I'm a bit puzzled why it is such a big issue - maybe things are different up north?

Here in WC road races are either PPA or WPCA, for both you can get permanent numbers and have the option to register on the morning of the race so no need to pick up numbers beforehand.

Only exceptions that I can think of are Stellenbosch CT and CTCT.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get your sentiment but I'm a bit puzzled why it is such a big issue - maybe things are different up north?

Here in WC road races are either PPA or WPCA, for both you can get permanent numbers and have the option to register on the morning of the race so no need to pick up numbers beforehand.

Only exceptions that I can think of are Stellenbosch CT and CTCT.

things are different up north

Stupid question.

This race number collection thing, especially where you cannot collect on the day of the event at the start venue; is it a general thing with race organisers, or linked to specific organisers?

Reason I ask is that thinking back over the last year I think this scenario has only been an issue for me with events organised by [A**] specific company.

Stupid question.

This race number collection thing, especially where you cannot collect on the day of the event at the start venue; is it a general thing with race organisers, or linked to specific organisers?

Reason I ask is that thinking back over the last year I think this scenario has only been an issue for me with events organised by [A**] specific company.

That was also my experience :thumbup:

Stupid question.

Race organizers man the number collection's so it's up to them if they want to hand out race numbers on race day, most do. The full Lic number collections are manned by CSA representatives who do NOT want to hand out numbers on race day but rather huddle around the start line unsmiling, sipping coffee, checking if the Lic riders have the correct size socks, number board size etc and chatting to each other, . Their "work" also ends when the winners of each lic race category crosses the line, they then disappear and for this "worthy" task a portion of EVERY rider Lic and open goes to CSA. Some might call this a scam. 

Race organizers man the number collection's so it's up to them if they want to hand out race numbers on race day, most do. The full Lic number collections are manned by CSA representatives who do NOT want to hand out numbers on race day but rather huddle around the start line unsmiling, sipping coffee, checking if the Lic riders have the correct size socks, number board size etc and chatting to each other, . Their "work" also ends when the winners of each lic race category crosses the line, they then disappear and for this "worthy" task a portion of EVERY rider Lic and open goes to CSA. Some might call this a scam. 

And yelling at people over bull horns trying to drown out Johnny making funnies about "baby vets" or "Mrs Pavlov".

Add a QR/barcode somewhere and the person at the start pen scans the code, no need to check for name, a simple photo pops up and the App confirms that entry is legal. 

Like Patch said, solutions are easy to come up with. It is implementation that is the issue.

No need for the barcode, you already have a chip to serve that purpose.

Scanning the person's chip also ensures that the rider is not riding with someone else's chip.

To top it all off, scanning the chip when entering the starting pen would also act as an additional control if the rider was not detected going over the starting mat.

Edit: typo

Scanning the person's chip also ensures that the rider is not riding with someone else's chip.

To top it all off, scanning the chip when entering the starting pen would also act as an additional control if the rider was not detected going over the starting mat.

FYI. Timing companies don't like sharing chips.

Winning time changed their system to accept Championchip, Championchip threatened to sue and WT had to discontinue this. 

Assuming everyone has a chip, plenty of riders are not interested in an official time, they have their own bike computer for this. Forcing them to purchase one or no chip no ride will chase them away. 

Assuming everyone has a chip, plenty of riders are not interested in an official time, they have their own bike computer for this. Forcing them to purchase one or no chip no ride will chase them away. 

Some races already enforce chip ownership, like 94.7

Organisation politics, the very heart of the issue.

Not really a practical or expense issue.

For us out of Town/Province guys a permanent number will eliminate the requirement to travel to number collection just to pick up a piece of paper (Sometimes together with four pins). For this we have to travel to the venue twice or sleep over the night before the race. It is getting costly.

Rode A group on Sunday.... noticed some without numbers? Was pretty easy to get onto starting pen and enjoy the ride.... makes u wonder?? Maybe they couldn't collect :whistling: 

Archived