2017 Sun City Ultra/Sprint

IceCreamMan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was an awesome day out. All that prep and activity for under 2 hours... Anyway. Swim was awesome. Water temp was 22 degrees and wet suit legal. Thankfully, as I went to the trouble and expense of hiring one. Being my first event, I decided to start at the back and I landed up swimming over a few people. Getting into the water is pretty treacherous, and I somehow managed to cut and bruise my right foot, which I only noticed at T1. There are a lot of sharp stones and uneven ground (with big drop offs) at the starting area. The finish area was not too great either. Saw quite a few athletes falling as they entered and exited. The run to T1 was pretty long. 

The cycle was ok and a little scenic. I did well and beat my average and max speeds in the first 10km. Turning around and coming back was pretty rough. There were some cars on the route, but not many. Had one car drive very close to an athlete ahead of me as he was overtaking. The car also sat on his hooter. Very unnecessary imo. There is one climb coming back into Sun City that is absolutely brutal. Many people had to get off and walk. I do a lot of hill training on the bike, and not even my training prepared me for that. It could also be due to my inexperience on the bike. 

The run route is very scenic. Not easy to hold a consistent pace as it's pretty hilly. I battled on the run as I think I pushed too hard on the bike. The supporters and volunteers were awesome throughout. Went to the medic tent to treat my foot when I was done and they did so quickly and with lots of jokes and smiles. 

Hubby did say he saw the bike handlers drop a few bikes after the first few athletes came in. A Marshall apparently came in and sorted it out very quickly. Hope there was no damage to anyone's bike. 

Overall, was a great and educational day out, and I look forward to doing the Ultra next year. 

Edited by EmJayZA

great event, well organized and awesome vibe.  improved on my times from last year.

drank way to many G&T's on Fri & Sat eve, luckily only did the sprint.