Bell of Hope - Cradle JHB - Sun 23 Apr 2017.

Fat Boab

I have done this race a few times. For a good cause. Would have chosen this over emperors if I was training at the moment.

Got a 2nd place a few years back. Got a voucher for lunch at one of the local restaurants in the cradle. Took the family and it was a good day out. Beats cash that I have no idea what gets spent on.

post-58906-0-96511700-1493020187_thumb.jpg

I last rode it in 2015, I think, but was gifted an entry at the last minute this year.

Have to say they've turned it into quite a worthwhile, and worthy, little event: a goodie bag which rivals much bigger events; the ever efficient road rangers, race and road marshalls, Metro; hand-made medals by, I assume, the residents of Ebenezer House (the charity); a pleasure ride, or a chance to push yourself against like-minded okes. All-in-all a good value R150 for a bit of fun on a Sunday morning if you're in JHB West. Put it in your diaries for next year... 

PS To the youngster in the KTM top - thank you for bringing out the 19 year old from deep within the recesses of the 52 yr old body. A 32+ kph average felt earned!

PPS to the 3 okes who went down above the Rhino & Lion, hope you're all OK.  

Was it last year(or 2 years ago?) the start was delayed due to mist in the dip at the start? I remember waiting in the cold and we couldn't see squat. Then they let us go and there was an attack at the base of the climb and while trying to go with the attack a hot air balloon all of a sudden came out of the mist and flew over our heads. It was a bit of a suprise that we weren't expecting.

Was it last year(or 2 years ago?) the start was delayed due to mist in the dip at the start? I remember waiting in the cold and we couldn't see squat. Then they let us go and there was an attack at the base of the climb and while trying to go with the attack a hot air balloon all of a sudden came out of the mist and flew over our heads. It was a bit of a suprise that we weren't expecting.

Yeah balloons out here, I live across the road from Valverde, seem a bit random to me. Not for the first time, they've landed just outside my boundary fence, completely freaking out my animals in the process. But that would be a differing thread.....

Yip - first time I road the race - had a load of fun. Well organised, and all for a great cause.

As a late entry to the sport of cycling "old fart of 68", I will be back next year. Achieved my three objectives - namely, 1. Get to the start on time; 2. Finish the race in the allotted time, and 3. Don't come last. Managed a 23.3kph average, so 3. definitely achieved.

Far better than walking around a shopping mall.

I can concur with above sentiments. Was going to do the Emperor's but figured why pay R400 just to suffer(training been on low side recently) and sit wheel, when i could pay R150 and its for a great cause.

I got an excellent goodie bag, better than all the other races, had a lekker cappuccino before i started and then really enjoyed my hour and twenty minute sufferfest.

To the guy that won, super job mate, one man break away. Top class. To the lighties with me, well i think they learnt alot. We raced really well and i believe this is exactly what the juniors need. Otherwise how else do they learn.

Overall, excellent day, well marshalled, will gladly pay more. Well done guys.

Archived