Tshwane Classic

Vetplant

I will not be entering if the route is just an out-and-back on the N14.

If you are going to call it the Tshwane Classic you will need to hit some landmarks in my opinion, so just riding on a highway won't ensure the longevity of an event like this. 

Jhb is a much more impatient city that PTA and they seem to cope with Full Road Closure of some major roads for a day once a year. Thus I think we might be seeing something which takes sections of those used in the Nelson Mandela race mentioned earlier. 

We don't necessarily need a 140km race, if you get enough climbs into the route anything around 80km would be taxing enough for most cyclist.

Just a thought, very long term though: What are the UCI requirements in terms of length for races that want to get certification to get some of the Pro's interested in a race?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on the cooperation of the Metro.  That is where it died the last time.  If they are willing to give the full road closure at reasonable price, there would be no reason not to hold the event.

To avoid any confusion with dates:2659e28a453c8a52769b18f4819ee941.jpg

I just wanted to give you space for additional advertising.

I will not be entering if the route is just an out-and-back on the N14.

If you are going to call it the Tshwane Classic you will need to hit some landmarks in my opinion, so just riding on a highway won't ensure the longevity of an event like this. 

Jhb is a much more impatient city that PTA and they seem to cope with Full Road Closure of some major roads for a day once a year. Thus I think we might be seeing something which takes sections of those used in the Nelson Mandela race mentioned earlier. 

We don't necessarily need a 140km race, if you get enough climbs into the route anything around 80km would be taxing enough for most cyclist.

Just a thought, very long term though: What are the UCI requirements in terms of length for races that want to get certification to get some of the Pro's interested in a race?

Agree, I will definitely support a race that goes through and around he city. I however think that the Monument  might be a logistic nightmare.

Perhaps Voortrekker Hoogte with all the army basis might be a better prospect.

As far as I can remember there were a lot of complaints about Supersport Park as a venue for the previous (and only) Capitol Classic.

Apparently there was a race in Pta quite a number of years ago that also started in that vicinity and went past the Yskor buildings out to Harties and back and also include the Union Buildings.

Loftus can be a nice venue. You can start and finish in Kirkness Street with the hospitality area on the B, C and D fields (not the A, that's Holy ground). There is enough parking at the schools in the area (like on normal match days) and it can also help the schools to boost their funds.   

Race will require a big sponsor to help build it up, whoever takes this on will need to get the route spot on. 

Race will require a big sponsor to help build it up, whoever takes this on will need to get the route spot on. 

I think to get the route spot on is the easy part. Like you said, to get a big sponsor is key and then cooperation from the city council as well.

If you can get this done in JHB, then why not PTA.

Get Jacaranda FM involved as well. I believe part of the 94.7 early success was due to the exposure/ advertising it got from the radio station.

You can also have a very nice MTB event in the Goenkloof/ Klapperkop/ Monument area.

There is enough cyclists in Pta and Gauteng region to make this work.

I think to get the route spot on is the easy part. Like you said, to get a big sponsor is key and then cooperation from the city council as well.

If you can get this done in JHB, then why not PTA.

Get Jacaranda FM involved as well. I believe part of the 94.7 early success was due to the exposure/ advertising it got from the radio station.

You can also have a very nice MTB event in the Goenkloof/ Klapperkop/ Monument area.

There is enough cyclists in Pta and Gauteng region to make this work.

Agree with all of the above!

If only we still had the Tuks FM of Pre-2015, they would have been a good tool to also drum up support.

Fingers crossed that this can become a brilliant annual event that I can get the family interested in...

Agree with all of the above!

If only we still had the Tuks FM of Pre-2015, they would have been a good tool to also drum up support.

Fingers crossed that this can become a brilliant annual event that I can get the family interested in...

I just had a few minutes of silence there for TuksFM

• 1 month later...

So It's official- we have a race in our dorp. 5 November- the race calendar here in Gauteng is getting really jammed, which I have no problem with.

Really looking forward to this one. The route seems quite nice as well. :clap:

So It's official- we have a race in our dorp. 5 November- the race calendar here in Gauteng is getting really jammed, which I have no problem with.

More info? Route etc

Can't find any info about the event. Would you mind sharing a link?

I've received a "safe the date" e-mail from ASG- official launch is 26 July. Venue is at the Monument and route will include Union Buildings, Freedom Park and out on the N4 to harties.

So on one day one will have the Wilro, Mangaung Classic and this event in PTA? Organisers or should I rather say CSA should be controlling the calendar better

Archived