2017 Critérium du Dauphiné 4 - 11 June

Cav'

Detailed Preview of racing coming up today:

Arnaud Demare continued his impressive 2017 season in a superb style beating his rivals in one of the most outstanding sprints this year. Thus, the Frenchman's self-confidence is boosted before the Tour de France, and he has a good chance of strengthening his self-confidence even more today, where an even flatter stage should make for another sprinter showdown.

The route

With very little sprint stages, it is not impossible that after two days there are many frustrated and disappointed riders.Fortunately, they are pleased that they already have a second chance in the third stage to get the redemptive victory when the field on Tuesday goes on to the race's easiest stage. It takes place on a day of transport,  where you turn around and move back towards the Alps, where the big teams will hit the last 3 mountain stages of the race.

In total, the riders must ride 184 km between Le Chambon-sur-Lignon and Tullins while curling around the relatively flat terrain north of Valence, while moving to the northeast the whole stage. The start takes place on a plateau at a altitude of 975 m. Then the stage has small 4-climbs, Cote de Saint-Felicien (2.1 km, 4.5%) and Col de Fontayes (2.1 km, 5.2%) after 51.5 and 55.5 km, which shortly breaks the monotony. After that, a longer descent is expected before the terrain again becomes flat.

As you approach Tullins, it starts to rise steadily, culminating in the top of the category 3 rise Cote des Sarrets (2.9 km, 4.9%) and the 4-rise Cote de Roybon (1.4 km, 5.8%) who will peak after 137 km and 144.5 km. From there they descent again until you hit the last 20 km, which is almost completely flat. A technically straightforward final with a sharp turn awaits 4 km from the finishline before going through roundabouts 2200 and 1000m to the line. After that, you hit the 6 m wide straight that rises by only 0.8%.

Tullins has not hosted a major bicycle race in this millennium.

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/CDD/2017/300/CARTE.jpg

The weather

Summer has not really reached the Alps yet, and it will be extra clear on Tuesday. Thus rain is expected until noon, and there will be risks of a thunderstorm later in the afternoon. Towards the end, however, sunshine and temperatures of 21 degrees are expected. There will only be a light wind from the west and northwest, which means that the riders will have side winds almost all day. 

The favorites for the day

The many sprinters are already running out of opportunities, and Tuesday's stage is already the second-biggest chance to test their Tour de France form in a massive mass sprint before July. Therefore, there are also not many chances that the sprinters can be cheated on a day when neither terrain nor weather conditions should allow a break to stay away.

Of course, and as is the case today, a break will most likely be released as soon as the start is given. It will most likely consist of riders from the wildcard teams like Delko and Wanty and teams like UAE, LottoNL-Jumbo and Cannondale. After that, Lotto Soudal will take control, but if the break does not involve riders who are close to Thomas De Gendt in GC, they will be pleased to let the group get a big head start. However, FDJ, Katusha and Cofidis have all gained confidence yesterdays sprint, and therefore the three teams will likely take responsibility for the hunt, possibly. With a little help from Dimension Data, Bahrain-Merida and Direct Energie.

It lets me point to Nacer Bouhanni as a favorite.

The final on Today's stage fits Bouhanni far better than the rest. Bouhanni benefits from the fact that the sprint to the line this time is very flat. On paper he is the fastest man in this field, and yesterday he showed that his form is good. He usually prefers a more technical ending, but he can also easily commit himself to a finish like this one. He is usually good at positioning himself, and although he lacks Christophe Laporte, he still has most of his train with Julien Simon, Cyril Lemoine, Jonas Van Genechten and, in particular, Geoffrey Soupe. Thus he has all the prerequisites to show that he is the fastest in the field.

However, it will not be easy to beat Arnaud Demare. The FDJ captain was completely superb in yesterdays stage, and it proves that his form is good. However, the race was not tailored to the strong Frenchman, and he is usually not as fast as Bouhanni in a flat sprint.  Can they do what they have done earlier this year, a powerful Demare is no doubt fast enough to win again.

Yesterdays stage must have given plenty of confidence to Alexander Kristoff. He had a cold, and he also comes from the Tour of California where he sprinted quite badly. Fortunately, he was much closer to his usual level yesterday. Although he usually wants a tougher stage, a power sprint like this is good for him, and Katusha can deliver a perfect lead-out again, Kristoff has a good chance to beat Bouhanni and Demare in a sprint like this.

In the Giro d'Italia, Phil Bauhaus impressed greatly. Although he was completely out of support in the bunch sprints, he was close to the podium several times. It shows that the German has taken another step forward after a nice 2016, where he won a stage in Denmark Rundt. 

It was a disappointment for Sonny Colbrelli that he missed the chance to win the two stages that suited him best. The relatively easy third and fifth stages are far worse for the strong Italian who is usually not fast enough to win the plat sprints. However, he has improved and is good at positioning himself, and in Paris-Nice he showed that he can win if the circumstances are right. It will be difficult, but it is not impossible for Colbrelli.

In many ways, Edvald Boasson Hagen is in the same situation. He has also missed the chance in the two stages that suited him best, and therefore he must now try in flat sprints that suit him far less. However, he had some impressive sprints in the Tour of Norway and Tour des Fjords. This time, Dimension Data will probably ride more conservatively and save more forces to lead-out, and this should give Boasson Hagen a better location. 

Yesterdays big disappointment was Bryan Coquard , who could not finish the fine work by Adrien Petit and Angelo Tulik in a final that suited him perfectly. The result was another indication that his form is not perfect. However, it does not change the fact that Coquard on paper is one of the field's four fastest sprinters, and therefore can not be excluded from a possible victory.

Finally, I will point to Maximilano Richeze . The Argentine is usually quite good at hard stages like this, but unfortunately, he has been doing quite badly this year. Therefore, I also doubt that he will be delivering a top result this time. On the other hand, he is a very fast sprinter.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coppi suddenly went quiet, probably busy with a very important meeting in his very important job in a suit in Sandton or very close to Sandton... :whistling:

I work in partnership with my brothers for the past 26 years..........luckily not a corporate Sandton puppet who sits in meetings all day!

Important: the challenge yes, me not......to keep the wheels turning and insuring all 56 employees do their job, yes

Don't make rookie assumptions  :whistling:

Don't make rookie assumptions  :whistling:

I am SO glad those words came out of your mouth..

Ditto

I am SO glad those words came out of your mouth..

Ditto

Exactly what I thought when I read it. 

I'm just glad my 'Loser job' pays me very well.

Exactly what I thought when I read it. 

I'm just glad my 'Loser job' pays me very well.

:thumbup: keep telling yourself that..........

I am enjoying the DeGendt interviews. He is very modest and realistic. Seems a decent guy.

PS: I never knew he was on the podium at the giro in 2012.

Must say

Didn't know that either  :huh:

:thumbup: keep telling yourself that..........

We need a face-palm emoji for you.

Can this thread please be reverted back to the Dauphiné?

One day closer to the Alps

DeMare and the sprinters will have one final round of battle today

Weather: sunshine but the chance of a thunderstorm or downpour later on in the stage. If the weather stays nice there will be a top temperature of 21°C.

^^^^  This!

Easily done: Lets all stop feeding the troll...

Is it safe to assume today's profile is suited for a breakaway? Or am I reading the profile wrong?

Easily done: Lets all stop feeding the troll...

Is it safe to assume today's profile is suited for a breakaway? Or am I reading the profile wrong?

It's the easiest stage of the Dauphiné, and although the 6 riders currently in break has a 6 minute gap, the sprinters' teams will pull it back for sure.

My money is on Bouhanni or Kristoff for today.

It's the easiest stage of the Dauphiné, and although the 6 riders currently in break has a 6 minute gap, the sprinters' teams will pull it back for sure.

My money is on Bouhanni or Kristoff for today.

Tx

Bouhanni definitely has the form currently so it is hard to see anyone else taking it if he is in the sprint group..

Archived