Advice needed on new wheelset for road bike

mtgoat

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the Ksyriums (like the rear wheel on one of my sets) have the same problem.  I think they went through a bad patch.

What I don't like about the my Ksyriums (and I imagine it's the same on the Aksiums) is:

• The freewheel with no inner bearings.  My freewheel is a bit looser than I'd like, and I've had the most deafening squeal come from the freewheel a few times.
  • The rear spokes touch where they overlap, and after a year or so they wear a bit of a notch into each other and start to click and creak.

I have some Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels that have neither of these problems.  The Racing 5 is similar, and in your price range:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-road-wheelset-2017/rp-prod126868

HI Organic

the squeal usually comes from the black inner bearing seal becoming dry, a few drops of mineral oil occasionally will stop the noise. If the seal has been dry for a while and has become hard you would need to replace this seal - not crazy expensive though.

How old is your freewheel body? there are performance benefits and weight benefits to using a bush rather than a bearing but it does mean a but more servicing to prevent the bush from wearing too soon. if there is movement on the body i would recommend that you replace the body.

both items can be ordered by your LBS so no need to send the wheel to us for repair. On the spokes touching this should not happen, i would recommend a trip to your LBS to check all spoke tensions (they should have the Mavic tension chart).

If you need any more info you are welcome to get me on Gavins@dragons.co.za

regards

Mavic

Morning Hubbers,

I have a budget of R3500.00 and i am looking to buy a new wheelset for my bike. Would a new set of American Classics be the way to go? or should i look for something pre-owned?

I would buy the Mavic Aksiums as recommended by the other Hubbers  :-) 

The standard Aksium is out of stock +/-4 weeks delivery but our better seller, the Aksium Elite is in stock and will be close to your price point.

if you need more info you can get me on gavins@dragons.co.za or 021 461 6252

regards

Mavic

I have two sets of the American Classic Victory 30's and my dad is also riding on a set.

They are my training wheels, and at the price, you will be hard pressed to find better wheels.

They are a great depth (30mm), width (23mm) at a very good weight. A bonus is that they are also tubeless compatible.

I have roughly 7000km on my set and haven't had a single day's issue with them.

Just looked at the specs and they look amazing considering the weight!

Definitely a set to consider.

going to look into this, thank you

I would buy the Mavic Aksiums as recommended by the other Hubbers  :-) 

The standard Aksium is out of stock +/-4 weeks delivery but our better seller, the Aksium Elite is in stock and will be close to your price point.

if you need more info you can get me on gavins@dragons.co.za or 021 461 6252

regards

Mavic

I have just dropped an email through to you. Thanks

Archived