PPO

What excersizes is best to increase Peak Power Output. Did a test recently and my power to weight ratio were way to low. What should desent power to weight ratio be?

Hills, gym work and  12 minute thershold intervals? Doing this with only a heart rate monitor, so please wait for tips using power lingo till I have save up to buy a power meter.

PPO is dependent upon the test protocol and is usually found via a ramped power test - what was your figure ?

Peak power is dependent upon a mixture of energy systems and can be improved by working on V02 max and anaerobic work capacity.

Gym work will offer no benefit at all as strength is not the limiter here.

Threshold intervals for 12 mins may help but are primarily focused on a longer duration.

I would suggest sets of 4-6 x 4min intervals at a pace that sees you just able to complete each interval and very near MHR - rest for 5 mins between each interval.

Some longer threshold intervals of say 2 x 20 min will help raise threshold power - these should be done at around the 85% MHR and can be done on flat or climbs with about 10 mins between them.

For what its worth PPO is not the real limiter to performance until threshold hits a ceiling - until then the threshold intervals of 15-20 mins are your best bang for buck in terms of improving performance.

Sorry I meant Power:Weight ratio. The lady said this is what makes a good climber mine was 4.2.  My peak power output was 335 W with LT thershold power at 75% of that.

Sorry I meant Power:Weight ratio. The lady said this is what makes a good climber mine was 4.2.  My peak power output was 335 W with LT thershold power at 75% of that.

Power to weight is critical - climbing ability is usually dependant upon threshold power / weight.

Your LT power at around 250w sounds reasonable but not sure how much you weigh ?

As a guide the sub vets range from 4.9w/kg at the top to 3.7w/kg at the back - broadly speaking.

PPO of 335w is also weight dependent but the range again in sub vets would be from ~6.6w'kg at the top and ~5.3 at the back.

Just estimates though.