Fox Fork Rebound Adjust Knob Stuck

Christofison

I know this is an old thread but I’ll post for the benefit of anyone else stumbling across this post. I think the design is seriously flawed. The damper adjustment knob fills with water and gives the adjustment pin a nice bath every time you go through a puddle. Mine stuck aswell,. My solution was to turn fork upside down, adjustment knob off, cleaned the pin and inside the knob. Turn bike correct way, fill knob full of penetration oil and twiddled with the knob for a long time (gently). I then left it overnight with the knob full of oil. The next day after some gentle turning + - I got full adjustment back although a bit sticky. I then removed the knob and packed with grease to stop water filling the knob again. After a few days the grease must have helped as now it seems as good as new. Keep the knob packed with thick grease!! I did drill two tiny holes in the bottom of the knobs to aid draining but when I filled up the knob the holes were too small to allow draining so I resorted to the grease.

In newer models there's now a seal between the detent ball and the outside world, but that doesn't help the older ones.

The only thing that can be done is when servicing to make sure the rebound adjuster is stripped and the footnut stud is filled with grease before reassembly to keep water out. With this and stocking to service intervals I haven't had a problem with this in a while.

That said, usually on forks that the rebound adjuster is stuck, the fork is desperately in need of service - but we don't exactly have extreme riding conditions in CT and stage races are a bit of a distant memory.