Advice Needed - stage race/ride worth travelling to.

BigDL

Got permission from my wife to travel to SA next year wth my son for a stage race/ride. My boy turns 16 in Jan, so this will be potentially an amazing trip for us.

My first thought was Sani2C, as I enjoyed it so much last year, but that falls in the middle of his exams in May next year. I have looked at the calendar and there appear to be a few options for July and August, which are his Summer holidays, but I am unsure of which are good events.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a multi-day event worth travelling to from Northern Ireland, ideally with a bit of adventure and bearing in mind that it will be his first multi-stage event.

We are doing the Namaqua Quest towards the end of August.

Nice route with amazing scenery.

Probably still get a substitution for that....

We are doing the Namaqua Quest towards the end of August.

Nice route with amazing scenery.

Probably still get a substitution for that....

Thanks, but I'm looking at 2018

Berg & Bush - not your date suggestion - usually in October, BUT...

Bare in mind his age (16 - Junior) he might not be able to enter some races with 60km + distances (according to CSA rules) he might only be able to enter mini-stage races.

I am NOT an expert, but I know juniors can only enter the 2-day Berg & Bush event...not the 3-day event with the 99km on day 1.

Maybe you can ask the race organizers (on ANY event) you might want to enter, before you pay anything.

Good luck and have a safe trip...enjoy it with your son  :thumbup:  nice bonding experience!

Berg & Bush - not your date suggestion - usually in October, BUT...

Bare in mind his age (16 - Junior) he might not be able to enter some races with 60km + distances (according to CSA rules) he might only be able to enter mini-stage races.

I am NOT an expert, but I know juniors can only enter the 2-day Berg & Bush event...not the 3-day event with the 99km on day 1.

Maybe you can ask the race organizers (on ANY event) you might want to enter, before you pay anything.

Good luck and have a safe trip...enjoy it with your son :thumbup: nice bonding experience!

Thank you for the great info. I met a guy on Sani day 1 last year with his 16 year old, so I had assumed he would be old enough. Great watch out though. Really appreciate the warning

I have done it 3 times. It's such a good one. More of and adventure than a race. What a ride through an amazing place

I have done it 3 times. It's such a good one. More of and adventure than a race. What a ride through an amazing place

Brilliant - would it be a good ride for a 16 yr old do you think? Route profile looks very flat.

It's actually quite tough, if you try to ride it fast, they take you through all the ecosystems of the park. Day one is quite sandy, and the single track is rough as the hippo tracks are really uncomfortable to ride through. Hippo leaves a big print in the mud and when dry it's a square edged hole that batters you.

Day two is along the lake edge. Long day, invariably into the wind and soft under tyre.

From there it's just wonderful. The tribal lands, Phinda and then up to Mkuzi is special. I am happier in the rocks and hills. Nothing technical at all, but if you ride like a clown you will hurt yourself and help is along way away.

If you are moderately fit and pace yourself it is a fantastic ride.

There are also organised events on the transkei coast... So not an event.. Bit supported riding.. Which might be a much better experience.

Thank you for the great info. I met a guy on Sani day 1 last year with his 16 year old, so I had assumed he would be old enough. Great watch out though. Really appreciate the warning

Great, I might be wrong and the age thing could even be race / difficulty related, just check with the event organizers  :thumbup:  enjoy and let us know which event you guys are doing next year, I am sure some Hubbers will join and make it memorable :clap: remember to take some pics and post here again.