Tubeless Ready rim valve hole erosion

wernerhp

Can try make your own sealent (Cheaper) and most recipes contain antifreeze it will stop the corrosion same as it does for your car

Can try make your own sealent (Cheaper) and most recipes contain antifreeze it will stop the corrosion same as it does for your car

Do you do this? Post your recipe.

I have seen this a lot - also why I don't use stan's.

It especially seems to like the ust rims like the red metal rims - lost 1 pair due to stans erosion also

Have seen lots of XT rims also and almost always around the valve or where there is a small mark on the rims - sometimes if some gets inside rim itself it eats it from the inside out.

After doing some research it would seem that liquid is the enemy. When a water based liquid flows in tubing it can slowly remove the protective film on the aluminum. How quickly it does this is based on the temperature and velocity of the fluid. If the affected area is not cleaned the erosion corrosion will spread quickly.

Having said all this I'm not sure what testing has been done in the labs concerning the heat and velocity of fluids in wheels.

Build up the hole with q bond

I also second the Qbond. I had a mavic rim with the same issue a few years ago. Used another epoxy type but didn't work too good, in the meantime I discovered Qbond and used it a few times in other applications.

post-5378-0-59333100-1505116426_thumb.jpgpost-5378-0-57233800-1505116458_thumb.jpgI had the same issue with Mavic rim, fixed the hole by cleaning it thoroughly ,thereafter fill with pratley steel , be generous and squash the putty solidly into the hole and ensure the rim cavity is filled up, then drill through the putty to open the valve hole again. 

Just make sure that the rim strength is not compromised too much by the rust. 

Did mine a couple of years ago and still going strong, i did post the repair on the hub but cant seem to find it, maybe you will have more luck, it was in the technical section i think.

Edited by DirtyFrank