Advice needed to structure training

karlito

Hey Guys,

I have been cycling for several years, with more serious effort during the last two years doing stage races and longer ultra events etc.

I currently don't have a very structured approach to training, just trying to put in the hours with some running, bit of weights and some sessions on the trainer before big events. But now I think it is time to level up.

So my question is what to do when during the week (including recovery) based on the following:

• Tuesdays and Thursdays I joined a road group in the mornings for around two hours at a brisk pace with hill repeats on Thursday
  • Running 7km easy at least twice a week, would like to increase to three times.
  • One or two interval sessions on the trainer - have not done this for a while but would like to start again.
  • Weights once or twice a week - started with 5x5 stronglifts 
  • Long ride or race on Saturdays

So I would like to put all of this into a structured plan to remove the uncertainty of what to do when and get optimal results. 

Is it easy enough to structure this properly or do I need to book a session with a coach?

Firstly, I am no pro or expert, but here is my take (on experience only)

* My preception is that your program look very busy, and might not have enough time for recovery. I assume your only recovery day is Sunday?

* I also come from a running background, but have found that unless you are planning any running/triathlon events, that you are probably going to get better CYCLING gains by replacing your running days with either another interval/recovery ride day, probably recovery / easy ride.

* When it comes to weights, I try to stay away from heavy training, but do high reps / low weights, and include A LOT of planks and core training.

From experience I have learned that you do not (as an amateur) need to train EVERY DAY to get good gains, consistency and variation probably better. Do you have a MTB and road bike? Maybe then vary between the two.

What also works well is training in blocks to overload and then recover. It keeps things simple and if you time it right you can peak well for specific races etc. Have a look at Joe Friel's (Training Peaks) work.

Hope this helps.

I never believed it, but this is true. "Less is more, as long as the less is better quality"

As a rule, you shouldn't do more than 3 high intensity efforts in the week (3 is already pushing it and might be too much if you are over 45). Gym session counts as an intense effort.

So, you can work in a gym session on Wednesday. I think it will be better to do a 7km run after the gym session. Monday can be another run day.

If you want to do two Gym sessions, then do the other one on Monday, but replace the Tuesday ride with a Zone2 / Zone3 ride (try to stay aerobic).

You will have enough intensity here, so if you also want to add IDT rides, then they should be recovery rides of one hour (Friday & Sunday). Add a few openers on the Friday session if you are racing on Saturday.

So, weight lifting fits better in a program when you are doing base building.

Check this article.

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/how-to-combine-cycling-and-strength-training?page=1 

I got a coach about 2 years ago who structured a program around my goals, time available etc.

This was the best money spend. Since you're also in Pretoria, you're welcome to pm me and I will give you his details.

If you are serious about improving your cycling, I would say a coach is the best option. (it's not that expensive either)

Thanks for the replies guys, seems like I am trying to do to much and should focus more on quality vs quantity.

I do mostly mountain biking, got the road bike for a bit of variation and to use on the trainer.

Before sani I did a 10 week sufferfest programme with a kickr snap and got a proper increase in ftp, but after sani found it challenging to get myself back on the trainer once the plan was finished. Consistency is a bit of a problem.

If I do weights it is usually after a run and a proper core session, not too heavy. At the moment it mostly happens when I am in the mood.

Seems like the best course of action would be to talk to a coach, just seemed like overkill for an amateur but it is starting to make more and more sense. 

Archived