Car Jacking....mmmmmm

Whafe

Still doing the move to South Africa, have seen the stats about car jackings etc, has not bothered me really. Not ignoring it, but being sensible about not getting roped into all the written crap.... In our company in South Africa, some 30 odd staff, we have had 4 car jackings in 8 monthsShocked

In real terms, is this odd. What are your views?

What is a decent car that is calling out to be car jacked? your help would be much appreciated....as usual...Smile

Moved to SA (Jhb) 3 years ago - company of 45 in industrial area 2 hi-jackings in that time.

The quality / speed of driving can be more alarming.

Moved to SA (Jhb) 3 years ago - company of 45 in industrial area 2 hi-jackings in that time.

The quality / speed of driving can be more alarming.

Yep, the speed there is kinda great and kinda nervy.... Spain and Italy where I am at present drive like rape dapes.....

Is it true that they are not happy if when being jacked that you just say here are the keys have it... A few of the ones in the company have been kidnapped for some hours...

True, sometimes it is more about the pain and humiliation they can inflict BEFORE taking the car. Skin colour does not bother them too much.

BUNCH OF SADIST!!!!

Nah this is a great Place Smile

This is a great country because:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. You can eat half dried meat and not be considered disgusting.

2. Nothing is your fault, you can blame it all on apartheid.

3. You get to buy a new car every 3 months and the insurance company even pays for it.

4. You can experience *** service in eleven official languages.

5. Where else can you get oranges with 45% alcohol content at rugby matches?

6.  It's the only country in the world where striking workers show how angry they are by dancing and singing.

7. You're considered clumsy if you cannot: use a cell phone (without car kit), change CDs, drink a beer, put on make-up, read the newspaper and smoke, all at the same time while driving a car at 160 kph in a 60 kph zone.

8. Great accent. (!!!)

9. If you live in Johannesburg, you get to brag about living in the most dangerous city in the world.

10. Burglar bars become a feature, and a great selling point for your house.

11. You can decorate your garden walls with barbed wire.

12. The tow-trucks  are the first on the scene for most major crimes, without being called.  The police you have to call about three times. 

13. Votes have to be recounted until the right party wins.

14. Illegal immigrants leave the country because the crime rate is too high.

15. The police ask you if they must follow up on the burglary you've just reported.

16. When a murderer gets a 6 month sentence and a pirate TV viewer 2 years.

17. The prisoners strike and get to vote in elections!

18. The police stations have panic buttons to call armed response when they are burgled

19. Police cars are fitted with immobilisers and gearlocks!

scotty2006-10-11 09:26:13

I think Mugabe said at the start of the farm seizures - "shoot one, scare 10,000" & there's something of a parallel here in holding a reasonable perspective.

In the event, I expect there's a range of possibilities rather than a norm.

Nah this is a great Place Smile 

This is a great country because:

Yes you still have not put me off, am wondering if I am nuts for not being put off.............. Now put forward the real great country list............

Is an Audi A4 wagon a bad car to get? or a likely target should we say?

I think Mugabe said at the start of the farm seizures - "shoot one' date=' scare 10,000" & there's something of a parallel here in holding a reasonable perspective.

In the event, I expect there's a range of possibilities rather than a norm.

[/quote']

Not sure I want to have on my CV, popped a cap in some guys a s s whilst in RSA..... Would go down like a turd in a punch bowl...

Whafe thats in jest. In honesty i have been to England and South America and none come close to SA and i could not wait to get back. Problems we have yes, but what country does not. Crime is a problem but poverty is a far greater problem.

We have great weather, beautiful scenery (coastal and inland )and plenty of MTB routes to ride and friendly people (except for KP's, but thats been discussed on another post.LOL)

I was replying in jest also.................It is indeed a beautiful place, ALMOST as beautiful as New Zealand (LOL) had to say that, my home town....

I have loved every minute each of the 6 times I have been to South Africa, have never had a problem... It is a hard moving with work, they bring all this to the floor. And with having another car jacking this week, it has them questioning things, which sux?s really................. you are so correct, every country has its dodgy areas... Hang even NZ does..... Yes plenty of mtb ride, but LOADS & LOADS of road riders....LOL

LOL OK take back my comment about the weather, i was gonna do a nite MTB ride but i see its gonna rain Cry

whafe, sorry to burst your bubble but there have been bike-jackings!

when all is said and done this is a great country. yes we have serious crime (mid-September a colleague of mine was mugged outside the building, and then the $%^&s turned around after getting her bag etc and shot her through the shoulder at point-blank range) and not so serious crime (i was burgalled 3 fridays ago) but a lot of it comes down to being vigilant. i walk through braamfontein (dodgy town area of Jhb) in seriously high heels (so it would appear "no chance of being able to run/fight back) and yet i've never had a problem. i've been known to go out alone on my bike - i'm just careful about where i go.

nothing can beat year-round cycling-weather smiley4.gif

Yep, you have burst my bubble.................LOL

What is the mentality behind mugging someone, then to have to shoot them. Is that becasue they feel you will come back and hunt down there family so to speak?

Every city in the world has its bad bits, your just gets bought to the attention of the world more, a shame really. Stats wise it is up there though...... I guess they will be trying hard to clean this up by the Football WC in 2010....

Have been 6 times to South Africa, never had an issue either. touch wood, crossed fingers, arm, legs, tung......LOL