Wear on chain ring

FirstV8

When cleaning my bike i noticed an odd wear pattern on the middle and outer chain rings . Every 3rd tooth has worn off square and the others are more rounded . Is this normal . 

I think certain Chain-rings are made in a way that they look different to start with for shifting, please quote the make of your Chainrings/groupset.

If you have not looked at them before you will think there is something wrong. Go look at a new bike and you will see the irregular shaped tooth profiles.  This is only applicable to 2x and 3x setups as a 1x setup does not need to shift on the chainring so all teeth will have the same or similar profile.

As mentioned by Dexter they are mean't to aid with shifting up and down!

I noticed the exact same thing on my FSA 50/34 chainrings on my road bike.  Went back to the bike shop in a huff.  Walked out very embarrassed.  As mentioned above, it is all to do with assisting with shifting from ine rind to the next.  Helps the chain "step" off when there are some "worn" teeth.

Thanks guys . I thought it had something to do with ease of changing up and down the the chain rings but like others didn't want to embarrass myself . :blush:

Archived